The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Repairing body damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasketcaseTSI

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 11, 2018
South Haven, Michigan
I don't have a good picture of the body damage but, my talon was side swiped on the front passenger corner. It busted up the rad core support a bit and bumped the passenger door back about an inch. The suspension is still good and t damage appears to be just shell related. I'm debating on either using a air hammer and banging the dented parts back to near where they should be or picking up another shell to transfer parts to. I don't really have the space to get the spare shell. Any tips on heavy dent removal in the door area? I've already found that I can buy the rad core support.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I would check to see if the frame rails are bent at all first. If you're not an experienced body work person, then i usually recommend a new shell since repairs like that could be time consuming and frusterating to get right without proper training and tools.

Past that, if the frame is still straight, bang it back into place and replace parts where needed, or if you have the tools, tube front it (depending on what you're going to use it for).

Given the abundance of dirt cheap shells, I wouldn't bother with repairing it.

Given the abundance of dirt cheap shells, I wouldn't bother with repairing it.

This would be my first choice, but I can understand not having space or the time to swap everything over (with a busy schedule).

As somebody who has done a shitload of DIY bodywork, I wouldn't recommend it to most people. It's expensive, time consuming, and it's hard work. For what it would take to make that damage look decent, you could probably buy 2 shells. Time wise, you'd probably be ahead of the game with a swap as well. I do agree, space would be definitely be a limiting factor, though.

You will do zero good with an air hammer. The Pass frame rail is clearly swayed down. Needs setup and pull........not even close to worth it.

Also- judging by the mud on the right front wheel, looks like you went off the road which usually equals over curbs and bent suspension parts, if the damage is slight you wont find out until it wont take an alignment

Plus- from the sounds of it- you have very little experience with such things.........buy a clean shell if you wish to stay in it

Ok, the frame rails are straight. I started pulling the body out and the door fits great now. I'm now welding in a new rad core support. The mud on the tire is from rolling it through the mud into the garage, not from the accident. The control arms and the rods are all still good too. Whatever he hit with it only did shell damage so, lucky me.

Glad to hear the frame is ok. Good luck with the body work, I hope you have some previous experience or are very persistent. I have found that bodywork is an art and I am no artist. Keep us updated!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back