1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

2G Remove front Balance shaft sprocket

Posted by EVLGSX, Oct 10, 2018

Please Support Jackson Auto Machine
  1. EVLGSX

EVLGSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2017
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    Im doing a headgasket/timing component change......everything on the standard list. I tried to crack the nut that holds the front balance shaft sprocket on, before removing the belts, and while holding the crank at the main timing sprocket with the wrench I made. I could feel that it was about to surrender when the dried up cracked old balance shaft belt snapped. I tried using what was left of it to wrap around the stubborn sprocket....and then tried to get creative and stuff it in certain ways......no dice........tried jamming it up with a rag, tried 90 degree needle nose.....not even close. Started thinking about the jay racing tensioner tool with the 8mm and 2 pins.......doesnt fit obviously, but the concept could work,maybe have to make something. Not about to use the new gates racing balance belt which Im about to install and run the engine on for this, but its the only intact belt I have now. Maybe I will go to NAPA and see if they have one on the shelf I can buy to use for this daunting task.

I really dont want to pull the pan over this but I will not put the car back together without changing that front balance shaft seal, which is the reason for the need to remove this sprocket.

Does anybody have any clever ideas?

BS elimination is out of the question for this one so I cant damage the sprocket, unless I want to come up with a replacement.

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

16g   manual

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. THEIFNDNIGHT

THEIFNDNIGHT Probationary Member

Joined Nov 28, 2011
    ASTORIA, New York
    suck sorry to hear about this but your best bet is to pull the motor drill tap heli coil or machine shop.
    breaking or stripping a bolt sucks

My DSM:
  3. EVLGSX

EVLGSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2017
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    I dont think your with me here.........No broken or stripped anything. Just trying to come up with a way to stop the sprocket from being able to spin so I can remove the nut. Zero reason to pull motor. Thanks though.

My DSM:

Street Build

16g   manual
  4. EVLGSX

EVLGSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2017
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    Got my hands on a FSM, looks like there is a service plug on the block, which a philips screwdriver can be inserted to lock up the balance shaft. The driver will only go fully in when the shaft is in proper phase. I cant tell from the book if there is a plug on each side, for each shaft, or only on the oil pump side. Going to pick up a cheap belt and try that again if not.

My DSM:

Street Build

16g   manual
  5. EVLGSX

EVLGSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2017
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    cheap belt worked. all done.

My DSM:

Street Build

16g   manual
  6. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Saw you got it but for reference that bolt you mention is for the rear shaft

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  7. jsmcpn

jsmcpn Proven Member

Joined Jun 4, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    There's an app for that.

zM5WwAs.png
    eVkvrqh.png

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

50trim   manual
    coloradotuner likes this.
  8. CanadianTalonTC

CanadianTalonTC Proven Member

Joined Jul 8, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB, Canada
    For the future people, you can take your old snapped belt and wrap it around the pulley and vice grip it to itself (the teeth will hold the torque of twisting) and get someone to hold it or bind it in a corner. I had an engine mount available and a longer timing belt obviously instead of the BS belt but the premise is the same.

Attached Files:

9. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    Why did you need to take off that pulley if you're putting on a new belt

10. EVLGSX

EVLGSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2017
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    to change the seal located behind it- would be a shame to skip that

My DSM: