The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Remove front Balance shaft sprocket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVLGSX

5+ Year Contributor
Dec 7, 2017
Wallingford, Connecticut
Im doing a headgasket/timing component change......everything on the standard list. I tried to crack the nut that holds the front balance shaft sprocket on, before removing the belts, and while holding the crank at the main timing sprocket with the wrench I made. I could feel that it was about to surrender when the dried up cracked old balance shaft belt snapped. I tried using what was left of it to wrap around the stubborn sprocket....and then tried to get creative and stuff it in certain ways......no dice........tried jamming it up with a rag, tried 90 degree needle nose.....not even close. Started thinking about the jay racing tensioner tool with the 8mm and 2 pins.......doesnt fit obviously, but the concept could work,maybe have to make something. Not about to use the new gates racing balance belt which Im about to install and run the engine on for this, but its the only intact belt I have now. Maybe I will go to NAPA and see if they have one on the shelf I can buy to use for this daunting task.

I really dont want to pull the pan over this but I will not put the car back together without changing that front balance shaft seal, which is the reason for the need to remove this sprocket.

Does anybody have any clever ideas?

BS elimination is out of the question for this one so I cant damage the sprocket, unless I want to come up with a replacement.

I dont think your with me here.

No broken or stripped anything. Just trying to come up with a way to stop the sprocket from being able to spin so I can remove the nut. Zero reason to pull motor. Thanks though.

Got my hands on a FSM, looks like there is a service plug on the block, which a philips screwdriver can be inserted to lock up the balance shaft. The driver will only go fully in when the shaft is in proper phase. I cant tell from the book if there is a plug on each side, for each shaft, or only on the oil pump side.

Going to pick up a cheap belt and try that again if not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my hands on a FSM, looks like there is a service plug on the block, which a philips screwdriver can be inserted to lock up the balance shaft. The driver will only go fully in when the shaft is in proper phase. I cant tell from the book if there is a plug on each side, for each shaft, or only on the oil pump side. Going to pick up a cheap belt and try that again if not.
Saw you got it but for reference that bolt you mention is for the rear shaft

For the future people, you can take your old snapped belt and wrap it around the pulley and vice grip it to itself (the teeth will hold the torque of twisting) and get someone to hold it or bind it in a corner. I had an engine mount available and a longer timing belt obviously instead of the BS belt but the premise is the same.

Attachments

• crankpulleyremoval2_zps168936df.jpg
    crankpulleyremoval2_zps168936df.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 103
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back