The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Rear View Mirror Short

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Techn0Nut1996

Proven Member
Jan 20, 2017
Ames, Iowa
Hey Guys! When I bought my 2g hatchback it had what I thought to be a bulb out on the passenger side in the rear view mirror. I went to replace it with an LED (along with the rest of the interior lights) and saw there wasn't a bulb in it. I put the correct size LED bulb in and boy what a nightmare that started. It would blow the fuse that has the interior lights, door open chime, and a couple other things. I replaced the fuse, and same issue again. Thinking it might be the LED bulbs, I replaced it with a new "old school" bulb identical to the one that was in the driver side of the mirror. To my surprise, I blew the fuse again. I noticed the metal connector in the mirror was quite loose so I bought a new rear view mirror. Plugged it in with the old style bulbs and it STILL blew the fuse. And, once again, the metal connector in the mirror for the passenger side is loose. Is this a common issue on these cars?

Picture???

Will help a lot! Thanks.
For information, the dome light is always HOT (12v+) and when the door switch or another switch GROUNDS the other side, it comes on, so it sounds like you have a short to ground since all of the wiring up to the bulb(s) is 12v+.

^Good to know, thank you! Here at the pics.
https://flic.kr/p/NDjiXp
https://flic.kr/p/NDjiUt
The second picture is the close up of the problem child. The copper "clip" on the right is the one that is loose. I get about 1/8" of play. The one of the left is getting fairly corroded. If they are still even made, I wouldn't mind replacing them all together or making my own mount for an LED bulb. I just find it strange that the old rear view and the new one both have the same problem.. Makes me wonder if it isn't the mirrors causing this issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back