The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

GVR-4 Rear brakes a few questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
AFAIK the rear brakes on a GVR4 are the same as a 1g. The questions may be a bit granular, so please don't not answer because you don't have all the answers.

1) I just ordered 2 rear reman calipers from advance auto and noticed that the 2 bleeder screws are the same size on those calipers. However, the left rear caliper bleeder I removed from my GVR4 is thinner and has an 8mm head. The passenger rear bleeder size is thicker like the 2 replacement calipers and has a 10mm head. I normally wouldn't care, but I am running speed bleeders all the way around. The thought of having to research and then purchase/wait for one 10mm bleeder screw does not appeal to me. What gives?

2) I have done the rear brakes before and I am having a super hard time with them this time around. I have read that removing the rear parking brake cable makes things easier. I kind of wish that I didn't remove the cable ends. This puts the boots at a risk of tearing and one has torn.

3) There are numerous shims that came with the pads. I got 2 on one side and 7 on the other. I counted 7 shims on the right side. I can't remember how they go.

Anyway, is there an order of operations as to how to replace the rear brake pads? I purchased semi-loaded calipers and I am scared to put the pads in and then have them fall out after connecting the parking brake and stainless steel brake line which is very rigid and turns with the entire line.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I replaced both rear calipers a while ago and the bleeders were 8mm on one side and 10mm on the other side. I also purchased them from Advanced and don't know why they're different.

It's much easier to remove the cables on the caliper after you loosen the cable from the inside.

I also have ss lines. Unbolt them from where they bolt to the shock and it'll give you enough slack to move the caliper.

I had to shave a little off the bracket bc the pad would get stuck on it. IDK if yours came with the bracket. Assemble the caliper and bracket off the car. Install the shim and pads and make sure they slide in and out freely. Mine were super tight so I had to file the ears down as well. Clean the surface where hardware clips in to.

There should be two types of shims, a short and a long. They're not a perfect fit. You can tell which goes where.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back