The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Radiator Relay

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renzo2g

Probationary Member
Oct 8, 2018
LUBBOCK, Texas
I'm new to this forum and pretty new to working on cars, apologies for the simple questions.

I bought a 96 eclipse that's had some work done to it - headers, cool air intake etc. I've had to do a bit of work on it as the previous owner abused it, but for the most part it's in great condition. On to the question...

It has a digital temperature gauge that's stayed mostly in the 80s, but recently it jumped up to 100 Celsius when idling in a parking lot after driving it on the highway. Seems like it stayed 80s and climbed rapidly when it wasn't moving, which makes sense. It didn't seem to do this before as both my radiator fans turn on when the air conditioner is on, which I wasn't using that day. I checked out my fuse box and noticed a couple radiator relays missing and would like to know if this may help with the temperatures. I've done some reading on this forum and have found the coolant fan shouldn't turn on until 99c, which is probably why temps didn't go above 101. I haven't had a chance to do more testing due to the weather yet so looking for further insight here first. Added pic of fuse box, can add more if needed.

Attachments

• fuse relay.jpg
    fuse relay.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 42
I'm new to this forum and pretty new to working on cars, apologies for the simple questions.

I bought a 96 eclipse that's had some work done to it - headers, cool air intake etc. I've had to do a bit of work on it as the previous owner abused it, but for the most part it's in great condition. On to the question...

It has a digital temperature gauge that's stayed mostly in the 80s, but recently it jumped up to 100 Celsius when idling in a parking lot after driving it on the highway. Seems like it stayed 80s and climbed rapidly when it wasn't moving, which makes sense. It didn't seem to do this before as both my radiator fans turn on when the air conditioner is on, which I wasn't using that day. I checked out my fuse box and noticed a couple radiator relays missing and would like to know if this may help with the temperatures. I've done some reading on this forum and have found the coolant fan shouldn't turn on until 99c, which is probably why temps didn't go above 101. I haven't had a chance to do more testing due to the weather yet so looking for further insight here first. Added pic of fuse box, can add more if needed.

You are missing the radiator "HI" relays. The ecu will use the two HI and single LO relays (from the looks of the fuse cover map) to enable two stages of radiator fan speed. Yours will only be at the LO speed as there are no relays to turn the fan up to the higher speed regardless of ecu command. I'd find the correct relays and add them back to the fuse box.

You are missing the radiator "HI" relays. The ecu will use the two HI and single LO relays (from the looks of the fuse cover map) to enable two stages of radiator fan speed. Yours will only be at the LO speed as there are no relays to turn the fan up to the higher speed regardless of ecu command. I'd find the correct relays and add them back to the fuse box.
I appreciate the response - That's what I figured as well but wanted to check with anyone with some experience to see if there was a reason they were removed or not worth adding back. I'll grab some and add them in.

I'm also wanting to possibly have the fan kick on at an cooler temp, before it hits 99C if it's possible. The little bit I've found references DSMLink and wiring mods to bypass it. I guess hitting 100C before it comes on isn't necessarily a bad thing but would like to keep it as cool as possible. So far turning on my A/C will kick on both radiator fans and cool it down at any temperature so I guess that can be used if it starts getting too hot.

You can use Ecmlink to control a relay and turn on a fan, or anything else I guess, based on many inputs. Temperature, boost, throttle position etc etc. I believe you can also use a coolant temp offset in ecmlink to trick the ecu into thinking its hotter than it actually is and have the fans come on earlier but I haven't used that so I can't speak to its effectiveness.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back