The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

GVR-4 Protecting cylinder and block mating surface from flash rust for a few weeks while head is off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
Car is garaged and the head is off. Too busy to slap the head on right now and I am sure that I will need parts here and there. I notice that the cylinder surfaces are starting to flash rust.

Do I need to worry about it? If so, should I smear oil or grease on the surfaces until I can get around to them? I don't want to make a mess and sure don't want to start a fire when the engine starts.

Thanks for any input.

Oil is great. It would stay lubricated for years as long as the block is not exposed to the elements. I have a block sitting in my garage for almost 3 years on the stand with just a film of oil on the cylinders. No rust!

Thanks everyone...I went with ATF+4 that I had laying around for my Caravan. I love that pic...that is dedication.

I used WD40 but I usually only have to let them sit a month, tops.
I also cover them in a garbage bag. You don't get the "oohh, ahh" effect of seeing the engine but they work and come with draw strings.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back