The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Portueler with 110

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powellds2

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 3, 2007
Baker City, Oregon
Right now I'm running my s16g Hahn kit with the portfueler at 15psi on 93 pump. I have no way of controlling ignition at the moment and was wondering how much can you raise the boost on 110 octane with the stock timing. I'm on a built bottom end with ported head, crower 2's, amm intake mani, 3.55 quaife etc. Just wanting to take it to the track this weekend and figured if I ran 110 I could run maybe 20psi and get some nice runs in.

Last edited:
It all depends on your afr's man. Turn up the boost and mess with the fuel pressure and find out where it's at. 110 will help Alot.

I've got it nailed down at 11.2 at 15psi now. Was going to get some 110 and tune the 15-20psi range in the coming days. Was just seeing if anyone had done it before or knew if 110 would cut it for stock timing to 20psi. I know we get knock right around 15psi with pump.

Last edited:
Maybe someone knows how much boost you can run with a s16g and 110? I'm curious how much more boost you can run with the 110 and stock timing. Anybody?

What is your static compression ratio? Do you have an EGT gauge? If you do not then you will have to resort to making a pull and then pulling the plugs to see how the engine is burning, if too hot then back the PSI down or drop down to a colder plug. If you are running a low compression motor then you shouldn't have a problem with 20 psi but just taking somebodies word for it has gotten a lot of others into bad situations.

What is your static compression ratio? Do you have an EGT gauge? If you do not then you will have to resort to making a pull and then pulling the plugs to see how the engine is burning, if too hot then back the PSI down or drop down to a colder plug. If you are running a low compression motor then you shouldn't have a problem with 20 psi but just taking somebodies word for it has gotten a lot of others into bad situations.

Oh I hear you, by now means was I going to just run out and do it because someone said they did. Just looking for those who have done it and see what they had to say. I'm on 8.8:1 JE's. I do have an EGT gauge and am already running colder plugs already.

Oh I hear you, by now means was I going to just run out and do it because someone said they did. Just looking for those who have done it and see what they had to say. I'm on 8.8:1 JE's. I do have an EGT gauge and am already running colder plugs already.

Then you should have all the tools to run 20 psi on race gas and be able to keep an eye on it. Give it a shot and if the EGT's start to creep then back off. If EGT's are good then after the run pull the plugs and inspect them.

I've always thought that the magic number on stock ignition timing was 15psi. Now I've been reading of others that are 20psi successfully without retarding ignition at all on 93 octane at 20psi.... Anyone else doing that? It's a guy over on ASEClub by the name of Turbosrule. Also, on the Hahn website this guy is at 20psi on 93 making 340hp with no timing mods with a 12:1 afr....
http://www.turbosystem.com/auto/CustomerVehicles/Customercars.htm

I wouldn't run 20psi on a stock ignition map on any turbo in an NT car on pump gas(unless its E85). Can it be done, sure but its a crap shoot at that point. A lot comes into play, how much head has been decked, size valves, compression pistons, what cams, exhaust manifold etc. I honestly don't feel like it will be an issue on 110 but each motor is different, so its one of those things that you just need to try since you have all the tools to be able to monitor it safely and if something goes wrong let out of it.

people have done it, others have paid a price.. the 15 psi, is just a rule of thumb. Ive heard people knocking at around 14psi on a comparable setup to yours, then again, like you've noted, some have ran 20 psi and are just fine. the high octane will help you, but you have to remember the computer is always going to want to hold you back, so you may not see the same gain ratio you are currently when turning up the boost. I think there is gain to be had, but it may not be as much as you are expecting. .02

if you have E85, run that...:)

I've always thought that the magic number on stock ignition timing was 15psi. Now I've been reading of others that are 20psi successfully without retarding ignition at all on 93 octane at 20psi.... Anyone else doing that? It's a guy over on ASEClub by the name of Turbosrule. Also, on the Hahn website this guy is at 20psi on 93 making 340hp with no timing mods with a 12:1 afr....
http://www.turbosystem.com/auto/CustomerVehicles/Customercars.htm

He's using a S25g, a much larger turbo to make that power.

Also, unless you have the ability to tune the vehicle I wouldn't just start pumping e85. Requires ignition adv and a lot more fuel.

Hahn Racecraft - Automotive Turbosystems

He's using a S25g, a much larger turbo to make that power.

Also, unless you have the ability to tune the vehicle I wouldn't just start pumping e85. Requires ignition adv and a lot more fuel.

Wasn't really talking about the power level, and yeah, e85 isn't going to happen with the stock ecu and Portfueler... Just was saying there's a ton of guys out there boosting over 15psi with several different turbo's. I'm just going to tune with a set of det cans and keep my eyes on EGT's. I have every monitoring device I need to start tinkering above 15psi with my s16g. Going with a 11.5 afr on 92 octane and see how far I can go before I get any knock. I'll probably make a separate tune for 110 and see how far that will go too. All on stock timing. It will be a little while, but I'll report back with results. :)

I'm thinking spark would come into play. I have the same setup and I'm currently at 15psi because I have nothing to control or give me a hotter spark for high psi boost. Get an ignition coil like a MSD DISC2 etc... then tune the portfueler to handle 20+ psi.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back