The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Only thing that bothers me about my 2g.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420NottheEngine

Probationary Member
Jan 30, 2017
Ukiah, California
So since ive gotten my 99 eclipse with the 420a (a/t) i have loved it. But theres been one thing thats bothering me. And now that ive done a bunch of repairs with the general maintenence to fix the previous owners neglect, theres one thing that i really just have to figure out.
So my problem is my srs light.
Aa far aa im concerned this thing does have airbags, as doing some investigation has reveales both of the units are intact.
Where i think the problem is coming from is something the dealer did. He switched the seat out with another 2g but its a different color competely obvious it doesnt belong to the car.
Anyways. Ill turn the car over, instrument cluster lights will go off like theyre supposed to except the srs which stayed on, and by that the seatbelt light will flash 3 to 4 times. Even if i have the seatbelt on before i start it.
So did some investigation and found that the connector under the drivers seat was stripped off like he just kept pulling the seat untill it finally budged out.
So my questions are would that be my most likelt culprit? Whats the 2 pin connector for anyways? Seatbelt? And lastly is there any way to scan on srs liggt for a code like you do for a CEL? IF SO what tool works for our cars?

There's a fix for this but you have to search sorry. All I can say is that connector is for the power seats. On cars with manual seats the harness just sits there unused (although I may be wrong here because I rembered as I write this that ive never even seen a seatbelt light flash on any of my dsms.
Point is, that harness under the seat doesn't have to be connected, if anything it will eliminate your supposed seatbelt light.
The SRS light is usually triggered after someone either messes with the steering wheel or pass side airbag. Or the connection becomes compromised under the console where the SRS box sits. Id check the SRS connections on the steering wheel first. Just loosen the bolts behind the airbag and pull it off enough to see the connections if you didn't already do so.

Usually the srs ecu under the center console can go bad from the sunroof leaks. Most of the time I notice sunroof cars with missing slider cover carpet have bad ecu modules from water dripping onto the console

It is my understanding you can simply leave the srs ecu un plugged and the light will go away

Haha i would leave it unplugged. If myy airbags would still work but that ain the case sadly. And yeah i really dont know. The pass side air bag does look like its been tampered with. I suspect the prev. Owner who also had a split cv axle and a huge crack in the oil pan. Wonder if they hit something ans made that side go off? Anyways i think the shady auto auction i got this from reglued one in there probably without ressetting the srs module. So is there a chance we know how to reset the module? Because there is two undeployed airbags in there so i suppose paasenger side was reallt badly repaired maybe

Have been doing some digging. Can anyone point me to a good write up on replacing a 2g clockspring? Apparently if the horn doesnt work that might be out and my horn hasnt been functional in a minute

The horn can stop working from corrosion on the contacts. You should clean them first and see if that fixes it. Once the SRS light is on, the dealer has to reset the computer. Even if you fix the problem the light will not go out.

With that said you should verify the clock spring is good before paying the dealer to reset the light. Or buy a used module that doesn't have a light on.

Hm. I found a write up on clockspring fix. Went and got a replacement just now, disconnected both battery terminals for half an hour. Then the airbags for safe measure and then the srs module. Pulled the wheel and clockspring. Replaced it. Buttoned up all the connectors and fired it up and problem solved. Horn works. No srs light. I wonder what i did that reset it. Makes me think dealerships dont actually do all that much when resetting srs mosules.. Guess i got lucky. Who knows. Throwing it back together now. A lot easier to rip apart then to put back together thats for sure haha.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back