1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Resolved Oil catch can question

Posted by 914 Cheeko, Nov 7, 2018

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. 914 Cheeko

914 Cheeko Probationary Member

Joined Jul 10, 2018
    Newtown, Connecticut
    So I have my Evo 0 I am still working on and I have a breather catch can (wrong type for this car) that was included by the previous owner. I'm a poor teenager that doesn't want to spend $15-30 on a branded/ebay catch can and I don't know how to do any type of fabrication, I know oil catch cans are easy to fab. I was wondering if I could simply take off the air filter from the top of the catch can and hose clamp something over the hole to make it a sealed catch can, like a piece of rubber tubing and obviously tighten the hose clamp a lot so it doesn't get sucked in. It has two hose ports which is what I need, it's just that I don't need the breather. would this cause any air flow problems, or affect the way the oil gets caught in the inner filters?

My DSM:
    1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Street Build

manual

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    You could definitely cap it off. Measure the opening and hit up your local hardware store, tell them you need to cap off a pipe and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T

Street Build

manual
  3. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Or you could reroute it back to the turbo intake pipe.

My DSM:
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

GT30   manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

16g   manual
  4. 914 Cheeko

914 Cheeko Probationary Member

Joined Jul 10, 2018
    Newtown, Connecticut
    Wouldn't that reduce the flow since the catch can breather port is bigger than the intake pipe port? The tubing would get smaller in diameter, restricting the flow.

My DSM:
    1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Street Build

manual
  5. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    I can't tell what setup you have but the intake pipe would draw air from the catch can and wouldn't hurt any flow to the turbo. This is roughly how the stock setup works. You could always install a port/nipple the same size as the catch can breather port.

My DSM:
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

GT30   manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

16g   manual
  6. rEclipserGST

rEclipserGST Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2007
    G-City, Ohio
    Search "the pcv system dsmtuners" on google.

My DSM:
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

187 whp   200 lb/ft
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST (sold)

13.583 @ 108.440 MPH
  7. tametalon92

tametalon92 Proven Member

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    All I can say is get some check valves so you're not pressurizing the can if it's going between the pcv valve and your intake manifold, my last rendition I didn't have the check valves and it puked the oil out of every seam no matter what I used to seal them (My cans are bolted together).

As @rEclipserGST said Google his tag line and you'll come across a thread by @Calan. Very comprehensive and explains things well.

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

14b   manual
    rEclipserGST likes this.