The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Official Bench Racing Thread (how fast is my car/how much HP can I expect)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The real question is, is your car going to be able to handle that power? The hx40 is a very potent turbo with the right mods to back it up. Check these two links out for more ideas. You need a fuel system to keep up with either 8blade hx40 is 58mm/2.283in at the inducer and flows around 60lb/min. The 7 and 6 blade hx40 is 60mm/2.362in at the compressor inducer and flows around 69lb/min. So look here for some ides for the fuel you'll need, http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-tuning-ecu/366003-injector-fuel-pump-supported-airflow.html. Also the holset threads should give even more in site on what you may need, http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/362444-holset-turbos-faq.html
And then check this out if you wanna see the most badass hx40 around these parts LOL! http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dra...r-8s-holset-hx40.html?highlight=Holset+thread

1991 Eagle talon tsi AWD with a brand new eBay td05 20g internal wastegate turbo, stock side mount with hard pipes, 2.5 inch exhaust all the way back, pump gas with h2o/meth injection, injection clinic 775cc injectors and hks 264/272 cams. That's just a run down of the car. We only have an 1/8th mile here in knoxville and a good friend @ www.fastechimportperformance.com has a dyno dynamics which we will be strapping down the car soon but I'm being that guy and seeing what you guys think it'll run through the 1/8th et/mph and what awhp it'll put down. Keep in mind I only bought the turbo to get the car running so please no eBay turbos are junk and etc.... I'm gonna see how meant lbs of boost this thing takes to run efficiently(im think mid to high 20s) and how long it will last. My last 20g that cMe on the car blew apart at 22 psi after torturing for a while before it blew apart it had been supposedly been running on 28 psi for about a year or 2 prior to me buying the car. I am tuning with a maft gen 2 and zeitronix boost gauge and wideband with LCD display which I reccomend Because thing reads boost, a/f, exhaust housing temps and lambda. I guess you can say I'm a fan. Please read below before posting.

Notes: I will running a bigger and badder setup in the future which will be a 600+ e85 build
Motor,tranny and rear diff along with axles. It will be a somewhat street able setup and the car will remain at full weight without a cage for as long as I can stand it.

Thanks for reading, Crowder13.

Okay well sticking to facts, The 20g has a 52.5mm inducer and a 68mm exducer and people usually run 20+psi with them. 10-20psi is 14b and EvoIII 16G territory. You can 400+whp from a well setup car.

But yea, I think most people would suggest you get rid of that Ebay 20g before sending metal fragments through your motor. But hey, run it till it blows. There are a few reputable turbo rebuilders.

You're asking for us to guess what the HP output of your setup will be which is something that is against the rules. It's called bench racing. Nobody here will be able to guess based on your mods list, but I know that your side mount will heat soak by second gear with that 20G considering that it heat soaks with a 14b at higher boost pressures. The meth injection will undoubtedly give you some help on that front though. I wouldn't be expecting any marvelous WHP numbers from a eBay turbo, their wheels are heavier and spool slower. Everyone that says they're going to dyno with one seems to disappear into the abyss before ever posting up any numbers.

i guess im being "that guy" but heck i was bored and wanted to post. you'll have your numbers and times in the near future. im waiting to have fastech do the front mount for the big hp setup which will happen in the winter more than likely unless i decide to do the 6.0l s480 foxbody build before next spring. but sorry for "Bench Racing".....

I need some help. I'm having my tranny built right now at Jacks and trying to decide which tranny build I should go with.

Can you please tell me what range of Horse Power and Torque you think I will put out? I know that its hard to nail down since it depends on how my boost... Ect. Just looking for a ballpark.

Here is my set up:

97 Eclipse GSX Manual Tranny

• 6 Bolt 2.3 Stoker
  • GT35R Turbo
  • 2150CC FIC injectors
  • Walbro 450 Pump
  • Will most likely be converting to E85 Soon after I get my motor broken in
  • Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
  • Fuel lab fuel filter
  • SS sending and return fuel lines
  • 2g ported polished head with 1mm over-sized valves
  • BC Springs
  • Snow performance methanol injection
  • JE 8.5-1 pistons .20 over
  • Manley rods
  • ARP L19 head studs
  • Tial 44mm wastegate

To figure out your power potential, pull up the lb/min air flow rating of that turbocharger, multiply by 10 to get max hp potential. Then just call up Jacks transmissions, and consult with them which trans to get based on your power and goals for the car. And I'm genuinely not trying to be rude here, but I'm a little surprised you did all those mods without having a rough idea how much power you'll wind up with...generally not a good idea to start a build without a particular goal in mind. And those are some pretty serious mods too...

Without knowing exactly which turbo you have I can't say for sure, but the two 35rs that FP sells, are 68 lb/min for the 82 trim and 75 lb/min for the 86 trim, so 680 and 750 BHP respectively, which with an est. 20% drivetrain loss is 544 whp, and 600 whp respectively.

To figure out your power potential, pull up the lb/min air flow rating of that turbocharger, multiply by 10 to get max hp potential. Then just call up Jacks transmissions, and consult with them which trans to get based on your power and goals for the car. And I'm genuinely not trying to be rude here, but I'm a little surprised you did all those mods without having a rough idea how much power you'll wind up with...generally not a good idea to start a build without a particular goal in mind. And those are some pretty serious mods too...
I agree 100%. Most people when buying parts for their project often purchase those parts with a particular hp goal in mind and this way they achieve balance.

Talyn. Thanks for you help. Don't be surprised. Of course I have a horse power goal. I certainly wouldn't have put nearly 10K into this car without a plan.

If I mentioned my HP goals in this post then all of your responses would have been biased to my goal. I'm simply curious if anyone else has a similar set-up and has actually hit the dyno. Now the GT35R looks to be good for 600HP and 600 is my true goal but I'm not 100% sure that is realistic. I bought the car in March and have done nothing but work on it up to this point. My new motor has 20 miles on it and now my tranny went out.

With that said I'm trying to decided if I should go with their stage 3 tranny build or the full drag tranny. Now the full drag tranny would for sure support my HP goal but if I'm really running 600HP. But if I end up more in the low 500's then I would prefer to go with the stage 3. Especially since its about $1200 cheaper. My budget is starting to run low on this car but don't wanna be building another tranny in 12 months.

I'd look at it like this. If you go with a full drag trans then you'll be fine, if not then you'll have to spend a ton of money switching to auto like everyone else after you break half a dozen times.

All 3 of the 10'secomd DSMers withing 5 miles of me have auto swapped for that reason and it's not cheap.

BANGIN GEAR FOR LIFE!

Funny you guys mention this...when I had my blue Talon Tsi auto AWD, people took me as a joke. Of course it was stock, but I knew the potential.

Man I feel like a total DB now since my thread got moved to the Bench Racing Joke thread. I think I had a legit question. I should have asked if anyone has a Stoker with GT35R... What HP did you pull on the dyno. Not looking for speculation but facts. I understand parts are only half the HP process.

I'm trying to decide... 600+ = Drag tranny... Less than 600 = Stage 3..

Simple question.

:beatentodeath:

Man I feel like a total DB now since my thread got moved to the Bench Racing Joke thread. I think I had a legit question. I should have asked if anyone has a Stoker with GT35R... What HP did you pull on the dyno. Not looking for speculation but facts. I understand parts are only half the HP process.

I'm trying to decide... 600+ = Drag tranny... Less than 600 = Stage 3..

Simple question.

:beatentodeath:
I think the more appropriate question would have been
"Fellas I am shooting for 600 whp here is my set up , do any of you see anything that I might be missing or should change to meet my goal? I will post an update as soon as I get to the dyno with your seggestions Thanks a bunch fellas!. This way it might not have ended up here! just my $.02

Regardless, my post was misphrased and deserved some clowning.

All that aside my car should still haul a$$ and this tranny is all that's standing in my way.

I will certainly update everyone when I get on the dyno. Might be a little while yet.

Regardless, my post was misphrased and deserved some clowning.

All that aside my car should still haul a$$ and this tranny is all that's standing in my way.

I will certainly update everyone when I get on the dyno. Might be a little while yet.
Cool. If I were you post your udates in another forum say for example if you dyno post in the dyno section or if you install the tranny post your take on the tranny in the the drive trains section but at the same time post a link to your results back in this forum this way you will revive the respect of your original question and at the same time those asking a similar questions will benefit. Thanks I will stay tuned in and look forward to your results:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back