1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

2G Not sure if I dropped a bolt in my timing cover...?

Posted by msisto, Sep 13, 2018

Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. msisto

msisto Probationary Member

Joined Jun 30, 2018
    Rochester, New York
    Just finished doing a timing belt job on my 98 GST. I was putting in the top timing cover, and had to remove a 16mm bolt from the valve cover (the previous owner never ran with a cover, but I try not to tempt fate). As I was removing it, I dropped it, but I didn’t see where. It was the bolt near the front of the car. Just as I was taking it out, it fell. I didn’t see where it went, only heard it hit something. I felt the likelihood of it going in the cover was slim.

Being dumb at 11:15pm, I turned the car over. Thought I heard a grind at first start, so I switched it off before it really even cranked once. I panicked and partially took off the middle timing cover. Didn’t see anything. Went under the car and took of the crank pulls and unbolted the bottom three cover bolts. I pulled out (what little I could) and nothing fell out. Crank plate looks fine. Looking in through the crank access hole, I didn’t see the bolt. Then I started and ran the car twice more and it ran just fine with no odd sounds. At this point, is it safe to assume it fell somewhere else? I should have know by now if it fell down there, right? There aren’t too many components, so it should have gotten stuck or fallen to the bottom, and I saw/noticed neither. Am I being extra paranoid now?

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    The ONLY way to know for sure is to completely remove the covers. You're asking us to speculate based on a start condition. We cant know any more than you. I wouldn't have even cranked it.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  3. msisto

Joined Jun 30, 2018
    Rochester, New York
    You’re right, sorry. Kinda dumb of me. Just got worried. I think it’s fine, but I’ll pull the covers off this evening to make sure

4. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    Use a magnet

5. msisto

Joined Jun 30, 2018
    Rochester, New York
    I found it. All the sounds I heard were just from me panicking haha. After taking off the timing covers, I found it chilling on top of where the water pump pulley enters its casting... which is outside of the timing covers...

So, I didn’t have to take them off after all if I had seen that, but it’s okay. Now I can rest assured that everything is fine.