The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadsalt

Proven Member
Sep 11, 2016
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I just put my '99 GSX back together after replacing the clutch. I put my old battery back in (which worked fine before but has been sitting for months) and attached a jump starter to the contacts. I also made sure it was grounded from the negative contact, the same way as it was before.
First few tries: Battery was dead so I turned the jumper to the highest amp setting then turned the key. The starter engaged and cranked, but very slowly, about one full crank every 1-2 seconds.
Wasn't cranking fast enough so I set the jumper to charge for 30min then came back and tried again. Same thing.
Took the (brand new) battery out of the family's Kia Spectra, and attached it. It sparked a lot for some reason. Turned the key, and...... the car didn't start. I could hear the whirring of the starter spinning but it clearly wasn't popping out and engaging the flywheel. In frustration I tuned the key to start 5 or 6 times in rapid succession. When I did this I could hear a slight grinding a couple of the times meaning it was engaging at least partway.
I left the original battery on the charger overnight.
Is there some way that in between the time I tried the first and second battery, the starter got broken and now it won't engage? They're both 12 volts so it shouldn't make a difference.
I've spent too long in a freezing garage on this job and I'm reaching the end of my rope, so any help, thoughts, or advice on how to get this thing running would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have the starter plate installed? Do you have the 10mm bolt installed that goes above the transfercase from the backside?

Do you have the starter plate installed? Do you have the 10mm bolt installed that goes above the transfercase from the backside?
Yeah, all that's installed. In fact I had to buy that bolt because it was missing originally. I actually got it to crank. Smelled no gas though. The dash isn't in so I'm going to install it with the dash harness and go from there. I thought it would start without the dash harness but I'm probably a dingus for that.

Yeah, all that's installed. In fact I had to buy that bolt because it was missing originally. I actually got it to crank. Smelled no gas though. The dash isn't in so I'm going to install it with the dash harness and go from there. I thought it would start without the dash harness but I'm probably a dingus for that.
Wait what?...
Sooo....first you posted about a no crank issue. Now its a no start issue? How did you to get it to crank?

Wait what?...
Sooo....first you posted about a no crank issue. Now its a no start issue? How did you to get it to crank?
Just hooked it up like I did yesterday and it cranked. Pretty normal cranking speed. Some weird electrical stuff happened though. I'm going to install the dash and plug in the dash harness and I'll report back then.

Well I got it started. New battery and dash harness in. New problems though: when I tried to turn on the headlights the horn came on and wouldn't shut off till I disconnected the battery. Also the turn signals aren't working. So the whole left stalk is malfunctioning.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back