1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

2G No lights no start but will jump off another car

Posted by that2G98, Oct 5, 2018

Please Support STM Tuned
  1. that2G98

that2G98 Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2017
    De Soto, Missouri
    So basically i replaced the exhaust gaskets and swapped in a new driver fan. Car started fine let it sit so I could tighten mani bolts back down. Turned it off. Maybe 5 min later turned it on, lights were on but as soon as I flicked the key the lights went off and no crank at all, lights stay off till hooked up to another car for jump. I can jump it fine but as soon as I disconnect after maybe 30 seconds the lights will dim and unless I give it gas the battery will die. Alternator tested fine, battery i bought new after this started happening. Fuses are fine. My fire wall ground is good, havent had a chance to check the other. Terminals are maybe 3 months old. When I hook jumpers up to my battery I can spark the other end 2 or 3 times then nothing. Anyone have any idea?

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

16g   manual

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. Dsm panda

Dsm panda Proven Member

Joined Dec 8, 2017
    Franklin, Wisconsin
    Well if only electrical change was the fan I'd make sure that wireing is all good then check the charging circuit.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi

327 whp   307 lb/ft
    1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo

Street Build

manual
  3. DSSA

DSSA Supporting Vendor

Joined Jul 26, 2002
    Hatfield, Pennsylvania
    Sounds like a grounding issues, or the battery terminals are not tight enough.

The ground wires like to fray off where they go into the connectors (especially the one on the firewall off of the battery) , eventually fraying enough to cause issues like this.

THEIFNDNIGHT likes this.
  4. THEIFNDNIGHT

THEIFNDNIGHT Proven Member

Joined Nov 28, 2011
    NY, New York
    Check battery voltage while cranking.
    How many ground do you have in the engine to firewall or trans to firewall ?

My DSM:
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

50trim   automatic
  5. rEclipserGST

rEclipserGST Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    What is the voltage on the battery?

My DSM:
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

187 whp   200 lb/ft
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST (sold)

13.583 @ 108.440 MPH
  6. Justin Lemons

Justin Lemons Probationary Member

Joined Jul 21, 2018
    Arvada, Colorado
    I had basically the same issue on my 1ga come to find out it was a dead alt fuse

tametalon92 likes this.