The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

New gauge cluster overlay......now temp gauge doesnt work

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperhemi

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 22, 2012
White Plains, Maryland
Whats up guys.....question/input needed! Just put a rear lit gauge overlay on my 99 GS. Pulled out the cluster, opened it up, overlay went down, closed it up, slid it back in the dash and boom, temp gauge doesnt work now. Battery was disconnected during the whole process....all the gauges functioned perfectly an hour prior to removing the cluster. Any thoughts? Every other gauge and the new lights work like a charm......just the temp gauge isnt doing anything. I thought it may be a bad connection on the back of the cluster now that its been removed and reinstalled(probably the first time its ever been out) but I do not know where to look for the specific temp gauge pin or contact on the back of the cluster or the pins in the dash. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20170624_205505.jpg
    20170624_205505.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 103
No, slid the overlays over the needles on the speedo and tach.......fuel and temp gauge just slid in from the side, all needles stayed on

actually no, popped the clear over off the cluster while in the dash and with a precision screwdriver, gave the needle a little nudge and it moved up freely...........

Only other thing I can think of, is maybe adjust the new face a little. Maybe it was pressing against the metal shaft the needle sits on and the pressure keeps it from moving. If that's not it, might need to find a spare from a salvage yard and see if that changes anything.

It may be your dash harness connector. Make sure no wires pulled back, or out, of the connector during the process.

We always put a thin coating of grease on all the electrical connections when reassembling any system we work on. With cars this age, electrical contact corrosion is common. And without some protection, the corrosion can only get worse.

Try unplugging the dash harnes connector, on the back of the cluster, apply a very thin film of lube, and then plug it back in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back