The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

New 420A turbo owner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eziomandude

Proven Member
Mar 23, 2016
Dale, Texas
I was just having some basic probably very dumb questions. As in what would be the spark plugs for a 420a-T? Built motor as well. Is it possible to use my valve cover as feed and return lines? Is it recommended like some people say to let your car idle once your down driving it for a few seconds something like turbo timers or something like that?

I run ngk BPR7e plugs. They are cheap and easy to find.

Feed and return lines for what on the VC? Catch can?

The turbo cool down period is recommended if your turbo is oil cooled only. If you have water lines going to the turbo there really isn't a need for it. But this is only if your driving the car hard, driving easy around town you will be OK with just shutting it off.

Use my valve cover for my feed and return for the turbo and probably a extremely dumb question. But this is my first turbo car. Can I take my "stock exhaust" and use it for well. An exhaust or do I need something custom fabbed?

Your turbo oil feed would need to come from the oil filter housing or your head. Depending on what the turbo manufacturer recommends. My Fp turbo is fed from the oil filter housing.
The return needs to go to the oil pan. If you are using the 420 motor then you would need a bing welded to the oil pan.
The cat back exhaust could be used but since you will not have header and will now have a turbo manifold, you will need a down pipe to connect to the turbo to the cat.

Guys this is a 420a motor. There is no oil port in the head to feed the turbo with. There is no oil filter housing either. You have to feed the turbo from the oil pressure switch hole in the back of the block. Remove the switch and put a T there with the switch on 1 side and the oil feed on the other.

Is there an alternative to welding as I don't have a welder? Something JB-Weld?

I wouldn’t use JB weld. I believe the 4g engines use a bolt on setup with a gasket if I remember right. You could look into a similar setup like that.

Really the ideal thing to do is get it welded in. Any place that does welding can do this. The pan is mild steel so a mig welder is all you really need. I welded in mine with my mig.

I also run NGK BPR7e plugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea if its a non turbo I still let my car cool down anyways after racing or driving it hard

Last edited:
420a turbo -- BKR7E

420a with a turbo kit.

you can do the return line without welding. what turbo are you gonna be using?

Last edited:
I am confused on this thread. Is the car turbo charged already, or are you considering turbo charging it? You said it's your first turbo car.. but these things aren't done? Feed and return lines? Plugs? etc? Did you just buy a kit?

There is a multitude of people who have turboed the 420a. OP has a lot or reading to sit and do. There are literary walk throughs online that I just googled. To answer where I think the OP is going with this, No, It will not be a simple install just hooking up a few lines here and there from easy to reach places. If you are considering turboing the 420a and your asking about what spark plugs to run.. you have way bigger things to be concerned about.

Is the head on the 420a able to be swapped with the 4g63 head?

even if it were possible to bolt a 4g63 head on a 420a block, it would be pointless because the cylinder spacing is different.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I see, just getting on board with the dsm community and I’m excited. I have 2 4g63 blocks I’m going through and am waiting for taxes to get a 2g eclipse/talon gsx/Tsi!! Much to learn!

Much to learn!

here is some knowledge for ya.
looks like the heads on backwards in your pic.

Good eye Dustyboner. It does look rather.. off.. :hmm:

4g has 85mm bore
420a has 87.5 bore

4g is better
if i were you, i would be comparing 6 bolt 4g63 to 7 bolt 4g63
here this might help you out with that

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back