The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

need new rotors and break pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you wanting to go with a brake upgrade?
Or are you just gonna use oem style after-market rotors and pads?

if you use after market OEM style ones I'd recommend buying a performance set of rotors from www.rockauto.com don't get the drilled/slotted ones [unless you want to have lower pad life].
get a set of street performance, hawk brake pads from somewhere else online and enjoy.

as far as an upgrade, the guys on here are all clamoring about the evo brembo caliper upgrade, which I hear is quite a difference from stock.

If you you ever road race your car stay away from drilled rotors they crack real quick.

Hardest part is getting the old rotors off. I found that by hammering out one of the studs, the old rotor will just pop off. Then just replace it with a new stud.

Hardest part is getting the old rotors off. I found that by hammering out one of the studs, the old rotor will just pop off. Then just replace it with a new stud.

I changed my rear rotors last year so I don't remember but do the rotors have M8 bolt holes so you can drive bolts in to pop off the rotor? I think they do. The service manual shows them. It's really, really easy to get them off with that method.

The holes are there, tried that first, bolts weren"t strong enough, kept stripping the threads. If it will work, that's the best way, if not, my way works. I think what happens is the studs get bent and won't allow the rotor to come off easily.

Are you wanting to go with a brake upgrade?
Or are you just gonna use oem style after-market rotors and pads?

if you use after market OEM style ones I'd recommend buying a performance set of rotors from www.rockauto.com don't get the drilled/slotted ones [unless you want to have lower pad life].
get a set of street performance, hawk brake pads from somewhere else online and enjoy.

as far as an upgrade, the guys on here are all clamoring about the evo brembo caliper upgrade, which I hear is quite a difference from stock.

not sure if i want an upgrade, if i do upgrade to evo brembo brakes and rotors do i need to do anything else or just install them? im just trying to go for the easiest setup and not cheapest but also not expensive, thanks!

IMO, brakeperformance.com = best bang for $$$. Good prices, fast shipping, and a lifetime warranty as well.

I've been abusing a set of their slotted/dimpled rotors for years and they are still like new.

hmm ill look into them

They arrnt bad just rusty? Go to a parking lot and do about 10 -15 hard stops from 40mph.

kinda want new ones anyway, these things look completely horrid right now...

If you you ever road race your car stay away from drilled rotors they crack real quick.

wow well thats good to know thanks!

oh great! =(

Rock auto, the brand is called powerstop. Premium ceramic/carbon fiber pads and silver zinc plated rotors.. Installed them on my 06' HD sierra work truck, 06' personal sierra mainly a cruiser, my sisters '05 envoy, and a friends '97 Audi. No noise, no brake dust, no rust, seems to bite harder and no brake fade. Ive also checked rotor runout and they were within spec. After a few thousand miles not sure, but no tell tale signs anyway..

http://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z26-kit/

Oh and get a tube of silglyde from Napa. OEM stuff for brake slides and window/weather striping etc.

Make absolute sure you have the right bolts before torquing them in. With only a few threads in the rotor, its difficult to tell if that is the right bolt, and if you screw up, no pun intended, well, you're screwed.

Last edited:
Rock auto, the brand is called powerstop. Premium ceramic/carbon fiber pads and silver zinc plated rotors.. Installed them on my 06' HD sierra work truck, 06' personal sierra mainly a cruiser, my sisters '05 envoy, and a friends '97 Audi. No noise, no brake dust, no rust, seems to bite harder and no brake fade. Ive also checked rotor runout and they were within spec. After a few thousand miles not sure, but no tell tale signs anyway..

http://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z26-kit/

Oh and get a tube of silglyde from Napa. OEM stuff for brake slides and window/weather striping etc.

Make absolute sure you have the right bolts before torquing them in. With only a few threads in the rotor, its difficult to tell if that is the right bolt, and if you screw up, no pun intended, well, you're screwed.
okay cool ill check them out thanks!

I have full powerstop kit with SS lines and they are a good stock replacement. They get the job done and feel pretty good. For real stopping power and upgrade look into brembos.

I rallycross, autocross, and go to track days on stock calipers for the time being. The issue is having to use 15" rims for rallycross. I have been extremely pleased with Centric high carbon blank rotors. As small as the brakes are, you would benefit more from blank rotors because slotted/drilled decrease usable bad surface. At that point, fancy rotors are more for looks. As for pads, it depends on how aggressive you want to go. A more aggressive pad will be noisy, dusty, and rotor hungry. I have been happy with Hawk HP+ pads, but they squeal from time to time, and must be bedded properly. I will go with Hawk HPS for winter. For track days, I switch to Carbotech XP-10s. Another suggestion for you would be to look at the outlander OEM upgrade. The only parts you will need are brake caliper brackets and the larger rotors for the front. I would recommend new bracket bolts. This is a great economical setup. You may as well change your brake fluid and bleed your clutch while your there.

I have been using autoanything.com for the hawk pads and centric rotors (free shipping). Looking around a little, you can find discount codes as well.

You will also really like this tool for the 2 piston calipers!
http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/lisle-25750-dual-piston-brake-caliper-compressor/

I have full powerstop kit with SS lines and they are a good stock replacement. They get the job done and feel pretty good. For real stopping power and upgrade look into brembos.

hmm might go with this then

I rallycross, autocross, and go to track days on stock calipers for the time being. The issue is having to use 15" rims for rallycross. I have been extremely pleased with Centric high carbon blank rotors. As small as the brakes are, you would benefit more from blank rotors because slotted/drilled decrease usable bad surface. At that point, fancy rotors are more for looks. As for pads, it depends on how aggressive you want to go. A more aggressive pad will be noisy, dusty, and rotor hungry. I have been happy with Hawk HP+ pads, but they squeal from time to time, and must be bedded properly. I will go with Hawk HPS for winter. For track days, I switch to Carbotech XP-10s. Another suggestion for you would be to look at the outlander OEM upgrade. The only parts you will need are brake caliper brackets and the larger rotors for the front. I would recommend new bracket bolts. This is a great economical setup. You may as well change your brake fluid and bleed your clutch while your there.

I have been using autoanything.com for the hawk pads and centric rotors (free shipping). Looking around a little, you can find discount codes as well.

You will also really like this tool for the 2 piston calipers!
http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/lisle-25750-dual-piston-brake-caliper-compressor/

great suggestions thanks! ill look into them!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back