The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

My ducted radiator setup - road racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsegsx1736

Supporting VIP
Nov 11, 2003
Los Angeles, California
See this thread HERE for a preliminary discussion on this topic and idea.

Being involved in motorsport for the past few years has taught me an unbelievable amount about race car design, and still when I talk to engineers I feel like I was just born yesterday. It really is incredible what goes into REAL race cars. When I say this I mean Formula 1, ACO Le Mans/ALMS, WRC, etc. Racing where every team brings a unique solution to the problem of, "How can I make this death trap with 4 wheels go as fast as possible without breaking and still be within the rulebook?"

It has also made me realise what an uphill battle I'm facing trying to get a street-car to go around a race track quickly. They just weren't made to do it. No, not even a Porsche GT3 RS. If the GT3 (which, for a street car, is quite amazing) was truly made for going around a track quickly and NO other reason, it would look like a P1 Le Mans car. Because it would be a P1 car. A GT3 is just a 911 (which is just a VW beetle, but that's another story :D) with some "racing stuff" bolted onto it. Wings, wider bodywork/tires, bracing, better engine, etc. It's not purpose-built.

My point is, even with the above knowledge, I'm modifying/racing my car because 1) I already started modifying it for road racing before I learned the above, and 2) because I'm already so close to finishing, and I love the feeling of accomplishment and return on investment (time and money).

ANYWAY, on to the project! My idea for a ducted radiator set-up was taken from seeing this done on the Ford GT, and many GT race cars such as team Rahal Letterman's GT2 BMW's from the ALMS series:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My goal was this: to force 100% of the air entering the front inlet fascia to flow through the intercooler, through the radiator, and up out through the hood. This would involve sealing the FMIC inlet side to the bumper, the FMIC outlet side to the radiator inlet side, and finally the radiator outlet side to the hood.

This isn't very hard on cars such as RX-7s or Corvettes which have longitudinally mounted engines and huge belt-driven fans and radiator shrouds. The engines in these cars are shoved as far aft as possible, often part of the engine running under the firewall, with the transmission next to the driver. On front-wheel drive platforms, though (a GSX is a front-drive platform with a rear diff and drive shaft jammed up the transmission's ass), this is more difficult. The engine centreline is usually forward of the front axle, very much the case on our cars. This leads to very-less-than-ideal handling characteristics due to the huge front weight bias, but that's another story for another time. On top of this, add a large turbocharger assembly hanging off the side of the engine towards the front, and the 2g's stubby front nose, and there is almost no room between the factory radiator location and the turbocharger assembly.

Because of this "problem", and because I don't have the time or money to mount the engine lower and farther backward, I knew I would have to move the radiator forward as much as possible. Initially I wanted to just completely rip out the entire front radiator support subframe and have a tubular one made in its place. It could still house mounting points for the headlights and nose, but would give me the freedom to mount a radiator at any angle or location I wanted (within the confines of the front nose, of course). I wanted to mount the radiator at an angle, with the top kicked forward as much as possible to make the ducting easier and flow better, and to reduce the angle which the air would have to turn as it exits the rad and makes its way up to the hood.

A custom tubular front end would be quite expensive, due to the amount of measuring, testing, and fabrication involved to have it still fit within the OEM front nose. So the other day I removed the radiator (still mounted in the factory location) and made some measurements. I realised if I mounted the radiator around where the factory A/C condenser is located, possibly at a slight forward angle, I should have enough room to make the exit duct.

I saw several people on the ECMLink forums switching to the AFCO Scirocco radiator and mounting it in this location to allow larger turbo setups to fit in the factory location and not interfere with the radiator. It looked like a good unit, it's significantly shorter and narrower, but almost 3x as thick as the OEM core, and still much larger than the half-size radiators found on some drag cars. It's also a dual-pass core, with the inlet and outlet mounted on the passenger side of the car, making radiator hose routing easy. I made a cardboard model of the core for measurements, and sure enough, it looked like the perfect unit.

I was considering having a custom core made my Ron Davis, but the AFCO Scirocco unit seemed like it would work and it would be half the price of a custom core. HERE is the link for the AFCO unit.

With the Scirocco rad in-hand, and the front end of the car disassembled, I tried to find the best location for the core. I quickly discovered that mounting it at an angle would be very hard. The nose is just too short, and I couldn't mount it lower since the lower rad support bar interferes. Any further back and the bottom of the rad is too close to the bottom of the turbo assembly.

After eliminating the hood-latch (I have hood pins anyway) and removing the vertical support bar on the rad support (not a structurally critical piece, it only serves as a mounting point for the hood latch bracket and the power steering loop), I had made enough room for the radiator. This is where it ended up:

As you can see in the pictures it is mounted almost 3 inches forward of the factory location. The reason for the offset mounting position is 1) to allow the radiator exit duct to clear the wastegate assembly, 2) avoid having the duct enter the area of the hood "bump" molding, as I will be using an OEM style carbon fibre hood for this for the time being, and 3) to allow mounting of a cooler next to the radiator in the open area (I will be running a pump and trans cooler for my manual trans), or to allow this empty area to be used for engine bay airflow.

Next, I made brackets for a single straight-blade SPAL fan:

Front nose mounted, radiator hoses hooked up (I was able to use both of my existing hoses with no modification, what a nice surprise!):

I drove the car like this for a few days, and like everyone else I have read about on the Link forums, I noticed an improvement in cooling with this radiator, and remember this is with absolutely no ducting yet whatsoever. I saw on average 5*F cooler temperatures, and this was a 10*F higher day than when I took readings with the factory radiator.

Next, I made a rough model of the radiator exit duct:

The mode was made using 16ga art paper, and as you can see in the pictures it is deformed slightly especially at the hood flange but it will serve as a rough estimate to make into sheet aluminium. There is still work to be done on this rough model, but it was getting late and this is where I stopped for now.

There is still lots to be done, next I will finalise the paper model and cut the hood to fit the model. Once I am happy with the design I will make or have it made into (most likely) aluminum. Ideally I will eventually have it molded into fibreglass but that isn't critical. Once that's done I'll figure out how to secure it to the car. As the car will be used for road racing, the ducting setup will have to withstand speeds of up to 150 mph, and will no-doubt be creating some front downforce, so the bracing for the duct will have to be sturdy. I'm looking at using quick-release mounts for it so I can quickly remove it for maintenance/inspection of the turbocharger area but haven't figured that bit out yet.

Any ideas for mounting points and/or quick-release hardware? I may use Dzus fasteners.
Anyone know of some good weatherstrip-like material that I can use to line the edge of the ducts to seal them against the various components? It would have to provide a somewhat air-tight seal, and also withstand high temperatures (say, 500F).

I'm sure I missed 75% of the thoughts, ideas and info that went into this and left out a bunch of stuff by accident, but I'd love to hear any questions, comments and suggestions on this project!

Beau

Last edited:
cant see the pics cause im at work but i am very interested in what you have developed as i plan on running the same AFCO rad in my Evo 3. We have alot less room between the engine and the front of the car vs the eclipse. Even though i already have vents in the hood i am not sure how easy it will be to make ducting to make it truly functional.

What is the point of this? Wouldn't it be blocking the fan from doing it's job of cooling the motor since you will be blocking it? I'm sorry I just don't see this beneficial! Correct me if I'm wrong though and maybe I can learn something new today.

What is the point of this? Wouldn't it be blocking the fan from doing it's job of cooling the motor since you will be blocking it? I'm sorry I just don't see this beneficial! Correct me if I'm wrong though and maybe I can learn something new today.

The fan cools the "motor" by drawing heat from the radiator, not by blowing on the engine.

The radiator fan's job is to cool the radiator core itself and the water inside it. The amount of air that flows over the engine from the fan pales in comparison to the amount of radiant heat the engine creates, so this tiny amount of airflow is negligible. And at speed, at least for now, the underbody of the car is open so air will flow from underneath the car and up into the bay.

As for the point of this, it should greatly improve airflow through the radiator and prevent the radiator's exhaust air from entering the engine bay. In stock form the radiator inlet area is ducted (which is what is removed when installing a FMIC and is the #1 cause of overheating problems on DSMs if left un-ducted) but the radiator outlet is left open.

Looks pretty interesting so far! Do you plan to make ducting from the front fascia to the front of the FMIC/radiator?

BTW, I have an almost identical radiator setup, only mine is centered. :) Works well!

Make one for me when you're done:p. Also waiting for results

And it should create downforce. I can't wait to see the results.

That is another benefit although with my (lack of a) budget I won't have a good way to test any increase in downforce. Not sure how I can do that accurately. Side note: I'm planning on integrating a gurney flap just ahead of the vent to help trip the air going over the hood and help pull the air out of the vent.

Looks pretty interesting so far! Do you plan to make ducting from the front fascia to the front of the FMIC/radiator?

Yes, definitely. The front fascia to FMIC, FMIC to rad, and rad to hood will all be 100% sealed off using some type of a "weatherstripping" or foam of some kind so it should be relatively air tight. The idea is for all air entering the front fascia to eventually exit thru the hood.

BTW, I have an almost identical radiator setup, only mine is centered. :) Works well!

How is it working for you? I was really happy to see a slight improvement in cooling with this core even with no ducting whatsoever.

Also in case you missed it above, the reason for the offset location in my case is to help with the positioning of the exit duct.

Make one for me when you're done:p. Also waiting for results

This idea crossed my mind! But due to the amount of modification needed to the radiator support itself, and the widely varying turbo/manifold setups, this would be very difficult.

How is it working for you? I was really happy to see a slight improvement in cooling with this core even with no ducting whatsoever.

Also in case you missed it above, the reason for the offset location in my case is to help with the positioning of the exit duct.

Mine is working fantastically, I have also noticed a decrease in operating temps, even going from two 12'' fans to a single 10'' fan. I was amazed at how much it helped removing the A/C condenser, and installing the radiator butted up to the FMIC. Since the move I don't think I've seen temps even reach 200* yet.

I plan on building some ducting up in front of mine still, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I understand the reason for the offset. After re-reading what I wrote I noticed the smiley made it look like I was putting you down for having it offset, not the case. It was more of a "hey we have similar setups" smiley. :D

At any rate, keep us updated, and good luck with the project!

Edit: Let me know if you mind, but I thought I'd throw a picture in here to let people see a similar radiator setup.

If you really want to test the downforce created, just make some type of a ride height sensor and do before and after testing at various speeds. You could make your own using a potentiometer attached to your front control arms, or pilfer one from a junker with self adjustable ride leveling.

If it shows a difference, simply stack sand bags on the car while parked to give yourself a value in pounds.

I also really, REALLY, want one of these.. I'll be following your thread closely. Do you have any better pictures of the rad support modification required? I was just planning on grayforest mod but this..

I have an idea as far as mounting it goes. From the looks of it, you will need it to be supported from both sides (Radiator and hood) to keep it from moving around under high air flow. A simple stop bar on the hood could create a stable enough piece to keep the aluminum from moving back into the exhaust manifold and possibly melting. Think of it like a tire stop in a parking lot. With a true boxed design for the duct it should stay pretty rigid to the point of not flexing but you'll want it to have a small stop support bar to keep it from moving out of position. This is for the side closest to the exhaust. The other side is EVEN MORE simple. Just take some 1/2" wide aluminum strips and bend them into a position to where you can mount it to the front of the car with a simple bolt and nut design.

As far as quick removal when needed while still retaining air tight sealing, think hood pins. You have some free area on the radiators end tank to weld in some home made hood pin. With this, you add some high temperature insulating foam like material to the full box end of the duct to add sealing and resistance. With this resistance you can now apply pressure to the duct into the radiator and then pop in pins to hold that pressure.

So you get a near solid mount radiator side and a flex prevention method on the top portion of the duct and it can be removed in a snap. If non of this makes as much sense as I think it does, just txt me and I'll come over and explain my vision for it haha

If you really want to test the downforce created, just make some type of a ride height sensor and do before and after testing at various speeds. You could make your own using a potentiometer attached to your front control arms, or pilfer one from a junker with self adjustable ride leveling.

If it shows a difference, simply stack sand bags on the car while parked to give yourself a value in pounds.

Good idea, I could just run without the exit duct and cover up the hole in the hood for the "before" test. I'll work on a good way to measure this. If only I had access to laser ride height sensors!

Use some yarn tuffs on the hood and get some before and after pics while moving.

Was thinking about that but not sure how well that would display actual anti-lift created. It would show low and high pressure areas though. side note: Unfortunately the hood duct will be located on a slightly inclined area of the hood, so it won't be as low pressure as if it was mounted at a horizontal spot. Still, it comes after the steep angle of the front nose and first few inches of the hood so it will be much lower pressure than that area. Also, a leading-edge gurney flap should help with this some.
I wonder what effect that duct will have with airflow over the rest of the car.

Good question, again, no way to know for sure. I wish I had the resources to go all-out on this and run this in CFD like Andrew Brilliant did on his car. But honestly this is just a weekend toy and I enjoy fabricating (even though I'm terrible at it) and doing something different.

I also really, REALLY, want one of these.. I'll be following your thread closely. Do you have any better pictures of the rad support modification required? I was just planning on grayforest mod but this..

As far as radiator support modification, you will have to cut out the vertical support, at least most of it, that holds the hood latch. Then you will have to grind a few mm off of the underside of the upper part of the radiator support to fit the AFCO underneath. That's really about it as far as modifications to the support go, then you just have to figure out your preferred method of mounting the radiator.

looks good so far.. You should get your Ex. manifold Swain coated, it looks like your ducting is really really close, under hood temps would go up..Id swain/ceramic coat you manifold, hotside, 02 housing, and heat wrap your DP.

Good job though!

On another note, Im in the middle of TIG welding a bent custom crash support for the people who still DD or even just want that extra protection..Not saying that the vertical bar does anything really for protection, but with that intercooler and rad sticking out in the open with no protection from a small front end collision, just your core support tieing everything together, im bracing up so at least I dont lose my Intercooler, Rad, and core support..Ill just lose the bumper and maybe bend up my Chromoly brace, with weight being considerably less than that big hunking stock support.

Subscribed. I think we can make profit from this, :hmm::sneaky:!
Im in the works for a legitimate intake duct in progress. Keep it up, and post results when finish!

Edit: Let me know if you mind, but I thought I'd throw a picture in here to let people see a similar radiator setup.

Awesome! Got a link to a build thread or something?

Thanks! I don't have any better pics edit: gsxtacy just posted the info for the modification to the radiator support below

I have an idea as far as mounting it goes. From the looks of it, you will need it to be supported from both sides (Radiator and hood) to keep it from moving around under high air flow. A simple stop bar on the hood could create a stable enough piece to keep the aluminum from moving back into the exhaust manifold and possibly melting. Think of it like a tire stop in a parking lot. With a true boxed design for the duct it should stay pretty rigid to the point of not flexing but you'll want it to have a small stop support bar to keep it from moving out of position. This is for the side closest to the exhaust. The other side is EVEN MORE simple. Just take some 1/2" wide aluminum strips and bend them into a position to where you can mount it to the front of the car with a simple bolt and nut design.

As far as quick removal when needed while still retaining air tight sealing, think hood pins. You have some free area on the radiators end tank to weld in some home made hood pin. With this, you add some high temperature insulating foam like material to the full box end of the duct to add sealing and resistance. With this resistance you can now apply pressure to the duct into the radiator and then pop in pins to hold that pressure.

So you get a near solid mount radiator side and a flex prevention method on the top portion of the duct and it can be removed in a snap. If non of this makes as much sense as I think it does, just txt me and I'll come over and explain my vision for it haha

I like some of those ideas! I'll look at putting something on the hood itself, just not sure how easily it'll line up as the hood is closing. I was considering using pins or Dzus fasteners, and I like the idea of having the pins holding a positive pressure against the rad. I was considering using the factory bottom radiator mount flanges in some way, my friend Grant (Flash on Tuners) suggested using a slip-fit type mount on the bottom (possibly using those lower mounting flanges) so that the duct is lowered into position and is "stopped" by these lower slip-fit brackets. I'd then use some type of quick-disconnect easily accessible fastener on the top-side to hold the whole thing in place. The bottom mount would provide the stiffness, especially in a downward direction, while the upper quick-disconnects would hold it in position.

looks good so far.. You should get your Ex. manifold Swain coated, it looks like your ducting is really really close, under hood temps would go up..Id swain/ceramic coat you manifold, hotside, 02 housing, and heat wrap your DP.

Good job though!

Thanks! I'm definitely going to be sending the manifold and turbine housing to be Swaintech coated (White Lightning). I had this done to a customer car I was working on and it's REALLY nice. Very thick coating, probably the thickest on the market, it's durable and makes an unbelieveable difference in radiant heat. He had an SLS tubular manifold that would almost melt your face when you opened the hood. After the White Lightning coating I could hold my hand 1/4" from the manifold and feel no more heat than what comes off the radiator area.

Also, I'll be using plenty of heat foil wrap on the duct as well as various other components in the engine bay. I smoothed and bead blasted my 1g intake manifold to allow it to be wrapped, which I will do along with the charge piping etc.

Last edited:
Here's a photo you may find interesting.

This was after a weekend of driving about 750 miles in snowy conditions. 80% of it was highway miles at speeds >65mph.

You can see where there that sudden line on the hood where the little specks stop hitting. It's where the road grime would get pushed back along the hood instead of being splashed directly on it.

I bet that as long as most of your vent is behind where that line formed, you'll be golden.

(And yes, those icicles formed while I was driving. The weather was really poor during most of the trip. The intercooler froze over.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Knochgoon24, dont you have a project to do? LOL.

Ive been interested in doing something like this for a while now, few friends have this type or ducting on their RX-7s, but they can also v-mount which isnt possible for us :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back