The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

MIVEC on Older 4G63's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any progress on letting this out yet??

I have everything required to get my 1g converted. The head has been drilled/tapped/Cleaned and is ready to be bolted on.

I have all of the mivec control valve bits and pieces sorted out and ready.

I've performed some initial adjustments/measurements for valve to valve clearance and am ready to start valve to piston clearance checks.

I've got a couple of other challenges to deal with as my transmission and torque converter are out being freshened up.

My hope is to have everything working by the end of the month.

I have everything required to get my 1g converted. The head has been drilled/tapped/Cleaned and is ready to be bolted on.

I have all of the mivec control valve bits and pieces sorted out and ready.

I've performed some initial adjustments/measurements for valve to valve clearance and am ready to start valve to piston clearance checks.

I've got a couple of other challenges to deal with as my transmission and torque converter are out being freshened up.

My hope is to have everything working by the end of the month.

You get cams figured out?? The waiting is building up to much anxiety LOL. I have this head sitting here waiting.

Any word Kevin on parts yet??

You get cams figured out?? The waiting is building up to much anxiety LOL. I have this head sitting here waiting.

Any word Kevin on parts yet??

I acquired one of Kevin's older cams for my setup, he recommended an fp5r exhaust cam (or something similar) to go with it. Seeing that FP stopped selling the fp5/11 cams for a DSM, The closest I could come up with on short notice was an S3 exhaust cam. I've been told this profile should work just fine for my application.

I spent all last evening playing with valve-2-valve clearances and am ready to bolt the head onto my spare block for valve-2-piston measurements.

Next up is putting a degree wheel on the block and seeing where everything lines up.

In the mean time I have confirmation that both my torque converter and transmission are being worked on right now.

Hopefully I can pull this off before ifo Woodburn at the end of next month.

I acquired one of Kevin's older cams for my setup, he recommended an fp5r exhaust cam (or something similar) to go with it. Seeing that FP stopped selling the fp5/11 cams for a DSM, The closest I could come up with on short notice was an S3 exhaust cam. I've been told this profile should work just fine for my application.

I spent all last evening playing with valve-2-valve clearances and am ready to bolt the head onto my spare block for valve-2-piston measurements.

Next up is putting a degree wheel on the block and seeing where everything lines up.

In the mean time I have confirmation that both my torque converter and transmission are being worked on right now.

Hopefully I can pull this off before ifo Woodburn at the end of next month.

I wish GSC would jump on board with this and make a profile for us that want to use MIVEC.

It'll be close but im sure you'll pull it off. Keep us or me updated on this swap and how well it treats you. I want to get started on this to but its so tight lipped I have to wait :cry:

Any chance you can quantify the benefits to a road course guy like myself? i.e. here is without mivec, here is with mivec, this is why it's better. I only see info about how this can be done and vague comments on what benefits there are, but I'd love to hear more about what this really can do for my car in my environment.

could always rock this like jayrome did. not tons of info on the workings but he did a pretty bang up job on the mods needed and running. makes things in the engine bay a bit stranger, but its definitely kewl and effective.

click here for the link and read away

I've been under the impression that variable valve timing would only be beneficial for dual purpose usage and mixed daily driving & track use. Reasoning is the Variable bit was to address idle & cruise, low load areas of the tune and VE characteristics. On the track the variable timing system would always be activated with on/off, WOT driving and the same performance could be had with a good set of competition cams.

I've been under the impression that variable valve timing would only be beneficial for dual purpose usage and mixed daily driving & track use. Reasoning is the Variable bit was to address idle & cruise, low load areas of the tune and VE characteristics. On the track the variable timing system would always be activated with on/off, WOT driving and the same performance could be had with a good set of competition cams.

This works great for auto cars that need low end and high end. Low for stalling up easier and high for the rest of the way down the track. (original intentions for the Mivec setup)

I can see this having benefits both for the road course guys and street driving. Much wider power band.

This works great for auto cars that need low end and high end. Low for stalling up easier and high for the rest of the way down the track. (original intentions for the Mivec setup)

I can see this having benefits both for the road course guys and street driving. Much wider power band.

So this MIVEC is kind of like how the Honda K series motor delivers so much better powerband than their old B series, Variable Timing Cam or is this just the cam changing to a higher lift profile at a certain rpm for high end power?

So this MIVEC is kind of like how the Honda K series motor delivers so much better powerband than their old B series, Variable Timing Cam or is this just the cam changing to a higher lift profile at a certain rpm for high end power?

It just changes cam timing like in the Evo...not a dual lobe setup.

Any update on availability? Planning winter projects now and this is probably going on the list. Thanks for the effort and sharing, Kevin!

Travis

Any update on availability? Planning winter projects now and this is probably going on the list. Thanks for the effort and sharing, Kevin!

Travis

X2. It's this or building a motor and I'd rather do this or both. :pray:

X3 I hope this is still going to happen as a kit...

Look for an announcement coming soon on availability and pricing as I get the finals added up. The Kelford cams have hit the US shores and I will have the first batch in my hands very soon!

Thanks,
Kevin

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back