1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

2G Mishimoto fan issue

Posted by jon95dsm, Mar 27, 2017

Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. jon95dsm

jon95dsm Proven Member

Joined Mar 7, 2014
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    I recently bought a Mishimoto radiator and fan shroud with dual slim fans. The shroud package comes with connectors that are plug and play. If the condenser fan is plugged in the 20A condenser fan fuse and 30A condenser fan fusible link will both blow. With just the radiator fan plugged in the fuses won't blow, but the fan doesn't turn on either. I tried using a 30A fuse since the inrush current is 12.7 per fan and it still blows the fuse and fusible link. I plugged my stock fan back in and it turns on just fine. Tested the Mishimoto fans by running wires between the battery and connector and they turn on. I want to keep them plug and play instead of cutting the factory connector and rewiring.

Any ideas?

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

14b   manual
    PlanZero likes this.

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. jstory352

jstory352 Probationary Member

Joined Apr 2, 2014
    Dalzell, South Carolina
    I would start with homing out the new fans, make sure it isn't shorting out internally. Wouldn't want to speak ill of Mishimoto products but sometimes products fail. If the circuit is fine with factory fans then it doesn't sound like your problem is with the cars wiring. If everything checks out I would try sending them an email and hope their tech department could help you out. Hope this helps.

My DSM:
  3. jon95dsm

jon95dsm Proven Member

Joined Mar 7, 2014
    Thanks for the response. I sent them an email Sunday night, waiting for an answer now. Hopefully by the end of the day. It's raining today but tomorrow I'm planning on checking the Mishimoto connectors to make sure it's not something as simple as a wire accidentally put in the wrong pin.

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
  4. jstory352

jstory352 Probationary Member

Joined Apr 2, 2014
    Dalzell, South Carolina
    Sounds like a plan, and damn autocorrect on this phone but I'm sure you knew what I meant about checking the ohms through the fan. If not I'm more than happy to help you through it.

My DSM:
  5. GrimmLegion

GrimmLegion Probationary Member

Joined Mar 7, 2017
    Vero Beach, Florida
    Totally agree with ohming out the fan. Also just make sure the plug isn't expoded ground itself out. I'm not sure what the wiring looks like but on my car the fans have bullet connectors, which I hate anything crimp on. Might have been what the previous owner did, might be factory but I just cut them and soldered direct and heat shrink wrapped them. But if the issue is the fans I believe they have a lifetime warranty so they should replace if it is internal.

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

T25   manual
  6. Mishimoto

Mishimoto Proven Member

Joined Jul 6, 2010
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Hello to all,

I am very sorry to hear that you seem to be having an issue with your fan shroud jon95dsm. I certainly do apologize for that. I'd like to thank everyone who posted on this thread attempting to help out. We certainly do appreciate it and know the DSM family is a very tight knit group.

If you were unable to get this issue resolved, we do have an excellent group of customer service representatives that would be happy to help you diagnose this problem.

We can be reached directly by email at [email protected] or by phone at 302.762.4501. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you and have a great day,
    Mishimoto

7. PlanZero

PlanZero Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2013
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm having this exact same issue. What is the solution.

My DSM:
    1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST (sold)

Street Build

T25   automatic
    1996 Eagle Talon TSi

Street Build

16g   automatic
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   automatic
  8. jon95dsm

jon95dsm Proven Member

Joined Mar 7, 2014
    Sorry for the late reply but the issue ended up being wires going to the incorrect pins on the plug and play fans. I cut and soldered them to the correct pins and everything works properly.

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
  9. 6BoltMirage89

6BoltMirage89 Probationary Member

Joined Mar 19, 2017
    Yonkers, New York
    could you please pass along the information of the rewiring the plug and play adapters ...I am having the same issue and have submitted a email/ticket to mishimoto(with this post referenced ) with no response . I am definitely having this same issue . Thanks !

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

16g   automatic