The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Melted fan trouble

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

too_genecide

Proven Member
Jan 26, 2013
yuma, Arizona
Is anybody else having trouble with melting fans? This the the second fan that has melted. First the oem fan with a 16g, then this with an hx35 with a bolt on bep .55. Any suggestions? I saw a member on here that put a blanket on his hx40 housing that I might copy.
Just looking for other ideas.
I suck at sheet metal work or I would be building a shroud but it looks like I might have to.
Again looking for options that I haven't considered

Attachments

• 20181107_222017.jpg
    20181107_222017.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 20181107_222044.jpg
    20181107_222044.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 20181107_222124.jpg
    20181107_222124.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 122
I melted mine once i out a FMIC on with the stock T25. I noticed airflow restricted and that ment higher bay temps and melting fans, i kinda solved the issue by running another hest shield over the fan and a blanket for the turbo but the issue is doen to air flow to keep it from melting.

Its weird as i never seen this issue arise before but it make sense to me once i knew the issue

When I melted a couple fans I figured out it was from exhaust leaks. Run some sea foam through the car and if it smokes around your exhaust manifold/turbo or anywhere in the engine bay, then you've got exhaust leaks.

Last edited:
I have the heat shield for the stock exhaust manifold. 02 housing is aftermarket with no heat shield.

There was an exhaust leak where the 02 housing meets the dp but the section of fan closest to the leak wasn't melted. The other fan flows enough air to keep it cool so I didn't notice right away.
I think I'll try and find a blanket that works with the bolt on bep housing. And make some kind of heat shield.

Thanks for the replys

I run a PTP bottom mount turbo blanket and it helped tremendously. You need to keep an eye on the turbo fittings to be sure they are not leaking in to the blanket, especially an oil leak! Other than that, they are great!

@chrysler kid do you know of kit/part numbers for o2 housing arp hardware? I know I'm being a lazy ass for not searching. Just wondering if you knew off the top of your head.
I do have arp and extremepsi mls gasket for turbo to manifold.
I ordered two o2 housing gaskets from extreme and I'm kicking around the idea of doubling them up. I don't know of an mls gasket for the o2 housing.
I found an old thread where a member used a Subaru blanket from ptp for his hx40 bolt on housing.
Are the bep bolt on housings the same outside dimensions?

EricTande. Thank you sir.
After a 4.5 hour drive the fan is ok but...
I'm stuck on the side of the road with a broken cv axle. I'm waiting for the trailer to arrive.
My destination was a 6 hour drive, didn't quite make it LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back