1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Melted fan trouble

Posted by too_genecide, Nov 7, 2018

Please Support VR Speed Factory
  1. too_genecide

too_genecide Proven Member

Joined Jan 26, 2013
    yuma, Arizona
    Is anybody else having trouble with melting fans? This the the second fan that has melted. First the oem fan with a 16g, then this with an hx35 with a bolt on bep .55. Any suggestions? I saw a member on here that put a blanket on his hx40 housing that I might copy.
    Just looking for other ideas.
    I suck at sheet metal work or I would be building a shroud but it looks like I might have to.
    Again looking for options that I haven't considered

Attached Files:

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

automatic

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    I melted mine once i out a FMIC on with the stock T25. I noticed airflow restricted and that ment higher bay temps and melting fans, i kinda solved the issue by running another hest shield over the fan and a blanket for the turbo but the issue is doen to air flow to keep it from melting.

Its weird as i never seen this issue arise before but it make sense to me once i knew the issue

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Road Race Build

175 whp   180.1 lb/ft
  3. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Do you have the factory heat shields on the exhaust mani?

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

14.200 @ 95.000 MPH
  4. ErikTande

ErikTande Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    When I melted a couple fans I figured out it was from exhaust leaks. Run some sea foam through the car and if it smokes around your exhaust manifold/turbo or anywhere in the engine bay, then you've got exhaust leaks.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  5. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    Ditto, I sold my gst and the next owner burned the fans up with an exhaust leak. The eBay turbo bolts stretch super easily. After a few months and heat cycles they are able to blow out the turbo gasket

Put all of your heat shields back on and then invest in arp turbo bolts

6. too_genecide

Joined Jan 26, 2013
    yuma, Arizona
    I have the heat shield for the stock exhaust manifold. 02 housing is aftermarket with no heat shield.

There was an exhaust leak where the 02 housing meets the dp but the section of fan closest to the leak wasn't melted. The other fan flows enough air to keep it cool so I didn't notice right away.
    I think I'll try and find a blanket that works with the bolt on bep housing. And make some kind of heat shield.

Thanks for the replys

My DSM:

Street Build

automatic
  7. JPenny

JPenny Proven Member

Joined Feb 24, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've melted a fan the exact same way as you described with the o2/Down pipe leak. I'm sure your addressing the leak just wanted to throw my 2 cents.

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

T25   manual
  8. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Also, see if PTP offers a bottom turbo blanket for it, although, they don't recommend turbo blankets for a bottom-mount setup like yours.

My DSM:
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

GT30   manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

16g   manual
  9. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    I run a PTP bottom mount turbo blanket and it helped tremendously. You need to keep an eye on the turbo fittings to be sure they are not leaking in to the blanket, especially an oil leak! Other than that, they are great!

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

10.793 @ 128.98 MPH
  10. too_genecide

Joined Jan 26, 2013
    yuma, Arizona
    @chrysler kid do you know of kit/part numbers for o2 housing arp hardware? I know I'm being a lazy ass for not searching. Just wondering if you knew off the top of your head.
    I do have arp and extremepsi mls gasket for turbo to manifold.
    I ordered two o2 housing gaskets from extreme and I'm kicking around the idea of doubling them up. I don't know of an mls gasket for the o2 housing.
    I found an old thread where a member used a Subaru blanket from ptp for his hx40 bolt on housing.
    Are the bep bolt on housings the same outside dimensions?

My DSM:

Street Build

automatic