The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Manual trans leaking from under shift lever

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denvario

Proven Member
May 18, 2016
Cincinnati, Ohio
Anyone else have a shift lever leak? I saw a few post on the subject and haven't seen any how to for it from what I saw it appears to be a huge pain well here is your easy fix ....

Tools you will need ball joint extractor the split type like this works best, a small bit preferably something that will fit into the end of the extractor so it won't slip off, and a wrench that's it!

I grabbed a cheap great neck Alan key 3/8 drive took it to the grinder for a tight fit for the extractor

You should be able to grasp the concept based off the pics but the idea is the pin that holds the lever on had to be pressed out as if it was going towards the front of the car it only goes one way the other way will drive it in further

Drive the pin out and your done may take some twisting on the lever to get it off but it should come pretty smooth it really can't be put on wrong but I can see somebody doing it so you may want to make a mark so you know it's orientation!

I also took some sand paper and really lightly sand the gunk off the shift rod so the new seal will maybe last a little longer maybe take a wire brush as you don't want that crap getting down in there.

You can order the seal from Jacks transmissions I'll post a pic they call it a oil seal was a true pain to find but get the new one pop it in and reassemble!

If this post has already been made I'm sorry I just searched high and low for answers to this and decided the hell with it I'll do it myself LOL
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I feel like I should say I tried everything to get that pin out before hand hammer and tap, vice, air hammer, nothing worked even tried the rtv trick to no avail! If anyone can find these deals for less please post it it's a quarter size seal and jacks wants an outrageous amount to ship it but gotta do what you gotta

Last edited:
Be careful with that pin. I fought with one some years ago on a junk bellhousing just to see if I could remove it. No amount of hammer, chisel or a 20-ton press could remove it. Yes I was definitely pressing from the right direction. Your results may vary

Going to give this method a shot. Was shown this from someone on the DSM tech and talk page on Facebook. Will follow up with results for anyone else interested.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back