The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Manshifting an ACT2900...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I didn't miss any point. Singles are good for up to a certain point then they must be changed for something that can hold more torque and you're right that is 99% of the DSMs out there. I am not aware of people complaining that quick shifting a single disc is a problem, but neither a twin nor a single can shift faster than the other, that is a push. I figured out long ago about getting the disengagement correct resulted in accurate fast shifts, heck Jacks put up a bunch of videos a Looooong time ago about this issue and clutch drag which are related. Carry on.
If you aren’t aware of issues with single plate clutches at high rpms you’re either new, or don’t pay attention.

Also, plenty of people have run 9’s, and even 8’s with a single plate clutch.

There are single plate setups that hold 700+ lb/ft. The issue up until recently was that trying to get them to shift at 9,000+ rpms was almost useless.

The op and myself must have just put countless hours of work into fixing a problem we didn’t really have.

Any updates on this improved hydraulic system?

I would like to point out that greater travel will come at a cost of even heavier pedal feel. People are already complaining about 2600/2900 for street use, they are not going to like even more required force.

If you have to make single disc clutch feel like 4000lbs+ pressure plate, to get it to disengage, it will not be usable for the street (the reason why you are sticking with the single disc in the first place). A bit of a dilemma here...

Last edited:

I would like to point out that greater travel will come at a cost of even heavier pedal feel. People are already complaining about 2600/2900 for street use, they are not going to like even more required force.

If you have to make single disc clutch feel like 4000lbs+ pressure plate, to get it to disengage, it will not be usable for the street (the reason why you are sticking with the single disc in the first place). A bit of a dilemma here...
I’m 6’ and 230lbs. A clutch pedal being a little harder to press isn’t an issue at all.

I also probably drive my modded Dsm more than anyone on here. I’ve put around 50,000 miles on it in 3.5 years. Lots of those were sitting in Phoenix Arizona traffic. Also drove it on 3 5,000 mile road trips.

Haven't really touched anything, been working on a 92 eclipse resto. The pedal feel isn't all that bad IMHO. Yeah compared to a stock dsm it's heavy, but not bad. Ever drive an old muscle car with a good clutch? That's heavy.

In terms of they are a giant car ruining turd. They don't have any inertia to damp the power pulses, they are on/off, they hold too much torque, and they don't shift that much better.

They only have 2 true benefits, they hold up pretty good, and they work with stock clutch actuation system.

I just measured three clutch assemblies I have in my garage:

ACT 2100 w/ACT FW 22.8lbs
PTT w/QM FW 15.6lbs
OS Giken twin 31.6lbs.

I was shocked by OS Giken weight! This is the sprung hub, 700ft*lbf torque rating twin clutch!!!

That sounds PERFECT! If only it came in 6 bolt version (they only have 7 bolt for 4g63 :()

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back