The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

looking for the Saskatchewan DSM'S

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my number is 241 8434 i got lots of timing covers gimme a text

Just to let you guys know..... precise engines isn't so precise my new engine's f***ed. The piston ring gaps are way loose damn near service limit, so new .40 over pistons will have to be ordered and the block re-bored out. Just letting you folks know, I've had questionable work returned to me before from "precise engines" and this is the last straw, their a shit shop.

I've heard mixed things about Precise, never gone there myself. Only machine work I've had done I've taken to Northside Engine Rebuilders on faithful and they've been good. Did a cylinder head a few years ago and when working for the neighbour any time a cylinder head came off an engine we took it there for them to go through.

Sucks to hear though, hopefully you get your money back or something.

did you check the bores? i find it hard to believe any professional shop would bugger up the bores. id think more likely the rings are to blame. check the bore size

I've heard good things about Northside too. I think they are who drilled out my camshafts. They are also who we get to do our stuff at work.

In other news, finally made it to the track and got 3 passes in over 5 hours! Best was 14.775 at 111.x mph.

If all goes well, I should be at street legal from here on in. But I need to get me a helmet and learn how to launch!

learning how to launch is kinda hard cause you can only do it once then let it cool for a while. if you do a bunch of back to back you will destroy your clutch real quick. i know from experience sadly

did you check the bores? i find it hard to believe any professional shop would bugger up the bores. id think more likely the rings are to blame. check the bore size
Your right Brandon it wasn't actually Precise engines fault, they actually just told me its very common now a days for piston manufactures to run looser ring gaps they're seeing it all the time. I just got my block back from them an hour ago with my specs all measured and block re cleaned. The bores and piston to wall clearances are right where they should be.
So I will be continuing with assembly.....when I get time. 4 days completely blown.
But I have had questionable work done by Precise engines so that's kinda why I was right pissed off, they did a terrible job on my supra's head and a few sled cylinders i brought to them a few years back. I'll give northside a go next.

id love to rebuild an engine, but i can not afford! i can only afford to hoard. 2 running 2 maybes and 2 rebuildables. and none for sale!!!

what piston to wall clearance are you aiming for? I understood. 0035" was kinda where new pistons are supposed to be. Also, did you have the new pistons for them to measure and base their measurements off of? Sometimes pistons can vary ever so slightly and when you're talking thousands of an inch it makes a difference. Best to have the pistons, then give them to the machine shop for them to measure then bore the block.

Also, our truck was stolen three weeks ago and found last Sunday burned and destroyed, fun part was the clutch I bought from Andrew was still in it. :(

Dude sorry to hear that Mike! that sucks, is insurance going to give you what it was worth at least? keep us updated.
I did drop the pistons off with the block yes, I wanted everything measured again and written down, I took a picture of the measurements so I would have it...they basically forgot to tell me them again!!
Piston to cylinder clearance is supposed to be .0015-.038, I'm at .0015 on my piston clearance so its on the tighter side of things.

yeah so far their first offer for the truck wasn't very good but we'll make sure we get enough out.

.0015" is pretty tight, not a lot of room for that piston to expand when it's hot.

typical SGI! I remember when I had some couple from ontario write off my my saturn 2 weeks after I spent 2k having the engine rebuilt and SGI said it wasn't a rebuild because the valves weren't replaced..... sooo stupid. Your truck was a mid 2000's right?
Oh been meaning to ask you vr4 has the second gen brakes right?

Truck was a 2006. And yeah, VR-4 is a '94 so it's got the good brakes. I'm actually debating selling the VR-4 and putting the money towards the Eclipse. I don't drive enough anymore to need two cars so one always sits.

gah, well if you sell the vr4 hopefully it goes to an enthusiast who'll treat'er right. I was going to ask if you want the brake rotor's I have, since I can't use them with the brake swap. They're like new so it's be a shame to waste a set of drilled rotors.

hmmm the VR-4 could use new rotors...

LOL $20 and they're yours!
I just had a big scare, went to bolt in my cams and found one of the cam caps for the head I'm using was missing. Found it in my back yard under my oil drum....biggest WTF moment ever, absolutely no clue how it got there but it'd been there for at lest a year or more.

haha done. I'll text you when I'm not busy, which might be in a while LOL

I sure hope we don't get too much, I'm at a nice 4/10" right now so it can stop.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back