The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Looking for 4g64/g4cs answers? LOOK HERE!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don't understand? How does using a 7.81 or so compression stock 1g piston in a 2.4 block raise the compression? Is it the long stroke? If it is how does it go from 7.81 all the way to 11.1? Thats really really high? I don't think those numbers are correct. I'm sure i am wrong but that seems really high. Did they build any turbo 2.4 over seas? How about the turbo dodge srt4 piston is it possible they will interchange? Just thinking?

You can use stock rods, a 4g64 crank, and aftermarket pistons in a 4g63 block, or you can find a 4gcs or 4g64 block and build that with forged 2.4 internals.

That's just two of the many ways to do it

Will the stock pistons not work in the early 2.4? I was just wondering if they was really weak or if anyone has tried it. I just have not seen piston for under 450 dollars.

I have a fully built g4cs 2.4 i bought out of my friends challenger. He had a challenger with this motor stuffed in it, he said i couldnt use the 4g63 head gasket, is this true?? If so, what head gasket will i need??

I don't understand? How does using a 7.81 or so compression stock 1g piston in a 2.4 block raise the compression? Is it the long stroke? If it is how does it go from 7.81 all the way to 11.1? Thats really really high? I don't think those numbers are correct. I'm sure i am wrong but that seems really high. Did they build any turbo 2.4 over seas? How about the turbo dodge srt4 piston is it possible they will interchange? Just thinking?

Compression ratio is simply the volume of the combustion chamber + piston dish divided by the displacement of one cylinder. A longer stroke gives a larger displacement.

When you see a piston specified with a given compression ratio, that specification is at a given stroke and combustion chamber volume.

A piston with a CR of 7.8:1 for a 2.0L 4G63 is specified for an 88mm stroke and a combustion chamber volume of 47cc. It is certainly not specified as 7.8:1 with an 100mm stroke.

See http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/346170-advantages-2-1-stroker-4.html#post151990525 where Strm_Trpr introduces an on line calculator for the math.

And don't forget to mention that 1g 2.0L pistons have 85mm bores and go up in increments of 0.5mm from there and typically stop at 86mm which would be .040" over.

G4CS or 4G64 blocks stock bores are 86.5mm, so no, a 1g piston will not fit into a 2.4L block.

But, both 4G64's and 4G63's are cast in the same mold, just the 4G63 is machined to have a deck height of 229mm rather than the tall deck of 235mm of the G4CS or 4G64.

I just used a felpro gasket for the turbo 4g63 and the bores were already oversized enough to fit the 2.4 block, but most people don't want to use a felpro.

Not to wake an old thread or anything but where did all you G4CS guys put the sender for your oil pressure gauges??
I've tried the old turbo feed port on the head to no avail, tried one out of two ports next to each other on the front (towards front bumper of car) of the oil filter housing still to no avail, all i had when it was there was 20 to 40 psi but it was always stable and never moved but a couple PSI at a time. I asked someone who said i could try the port right next to it since the one i had used was closer to the ported oil relief valve?
what do you all think?

(note: for some of you that are thinking this, there is no port where the factory 1G oil pressure sensor goes.)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I would have to check when I get home from work for the exact port I used, but it is on the oil filter housing. I don't remember it being a problem. I used the whole oil pump assembly and oil filter housing from my 4G63, so nothing was really different in that regard.

Same for me, I swapped everything from my 4g63 so the oil gauge is in the same place it was on the 4g63.

if you want to go higgher compression just buy the stock rods and pistons out of a g4cs motor. it will net you about 12to1 compression. i have the set from my motor in my storage. id sell you the set for $100. its the six bolt 1g big rods too. PM me if your interested.

What happened with this it sounds interesting.

hmm, well then i guess it is the housing from the G4CS.. Even though i use 2G oil filters? are 2G and 1G filter housings/filters the same? because its the same exact shape as the 4g63 housing it just doesn't have a hole where the factory sender would be.

So i have a quick question to make sure I'm on the right track. I'm thinking about putting my 4g63 crank in a g4cs but I'm not sure what the combustion ratio would be. I would be using a 88mm crank, .20 over 9:1 pistons for the g4cs, at a stock deck height.

Why not get a set of 156mm rods? I know RNR is making them for MAP... And last I talked to Manley they should be doing them also. Slowboy had Manley making them for a while.

But if you need one I can get a g4cs crank

Well i actually just ordered some manley 1g 6 bolt rods. I was planning on using my 4g63 but a buddy had an extra g4cs block sitting around. Yesterday he gave me the ok to use it, so now I suppose Ill just find a crank and build a 2.4L. Sounds like that will be the plan.

Im sure people will still search this. Im just giving a heads up for future reference. If your building a G4CS and are using a Manley rod, you have to clearance the block. The top of the big eng contacts the bottom of the cylinder wall.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back