1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Launch RPM's on slicks?

Posted by v8s_are_slow, Aug 23, 2018

Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. v8s_are_slow

v8s_are_slow Proven Member

Joined Sep 30, 2002
    Panama City, Florida
    Hitting the track tomorrow and Saturday and it'll be the first time launching on slicks in the awd with lots of new parts. I wanna get out of the hole and down the track as quickly as possible (obviously), but without breaking parts however I don't wanna be bogging either. Now I do have the Magnus launch control which I hope will take away the initial hit on the drivetrain. I have a 4 spider diff and double syncros, and also Weld wheels with 26x10.5x15's. But stock axles, transfer case, and driveshaft so I'm concerned about those parts. Been a good while since I've been to the track so launching will be rusty for me but what are you guys launching at? Not really finding much other than for the fwd guys which I'm not. Sure appreciate any insight.

P.S. To help y'all know what I'm working with, I have a 2g with 6 bolt, Groden aluminum rods, 10:1 Wiseco, Forced Performance DSM86 Turbo (3586 basically), South Bend SSX clutch, Magnafuel pump and regulator with -8 lines, 2150cc's, Magnus fuel rail, Ecmlink, JMF Billet intake, S90, etc. etc. and ready to see what it'll do.

My DSM:

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. tametalon92

tametalon92 Proven Member

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    what clutch? realistically itll depend on where your boost will maintain with no bog. no comparison, but with a 14b @22psi on 225 width tires and a carbon kevlar clutch, i launch at 5300 with no spin.

maybe do some shake down runs depending on how many runs you can get. start moderate and work your way up based on what you find.

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

14b   manual
  3. Crackerman

Crackerman Proven Member

Joined Feb 28, 2018
    Alvord, Texas
    You need to "hit" the slicks pretty hard to make em work the best.

Also, the beauty of slicks is the complete ability to really absorb shock loads,
    I have broken way less parts with slicks than with street tires or radials.

Try different launch and boost settings to see what works best fornyou and your setup.
    Preload the drivetrain with hand brake, and give her hell

4. Crackerman

Crackerman Proven Member

Joined Feb 28, 2018
    Alvord, Texas
    Well, how did it go?

5. v8s_are_slow

Joined Sep 30, 2002
    Panama City, Florida
    I hit this 1.629 and then blew the intercooler hose. Had bad shifting issues all night. I didn't hit it real hard because someone told me I'd be breaking parts with the slicks otherwise I would have gone harder off the line. Made a practice hit to the side of the track which felt good.

Attached Files:

My DSM:
  6. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Supporting Vendor

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    what size and offset are your wheels? Do they stick out?

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon N/T

Showcar Build

9.805 @ 144.00 MPH
  7. v8s_are_slow

Joined Sep 30, 2002
    Panama City, Florida
    They stick out a bit but I rolled and pulled my fenders. They're 26x9.50x15's. I forget the offset and width of the wheels right off hand. I'd have to get back to ya on that. Sorry for the late reply.

My DSM: