The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Lancer Evolution III Intake Manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTW, the runner ports (where the runners meet up with the head) measure 35mm x 70.5mm.

BTW, the runner ports (where the runners meet up with the head) measure 35mm x 70.5mm.

Anthony, are you sure you measured the ports correctly? Your talking about the runner ID size on the outlet of the mani? My ports measure much less & appear to be the same as the pics you posted. The OD of the runners is closer to what you measured? I get a rough measurement of 28mm x 55.5mm (just using tape measure). The much larger 1g ports may have a 35mm port ID but I don't think their even close to 70.5mm ID length.

Dan, looks like I received the same version as you with the one less vacuum port on the end of the mani, no hole drilled through for EGR & 54mm TB opening. I'll be porting the inlet to match my 60mm TB, going to get it bead blasted, hot tanked & may get it powder coated in a cast aluminum colour, depending on how it turns out after the bead blasting. I'll have to verify it will work but thinking I'll just use my 2g coil pack. I know a guy who's good at aluminum welding so may make some kind of mount to have the coil packs installed in the same 2g stock location. Was also thinking about hooking up an EGR system. The same guy has a CNC machine so cutting a flange to mount the EGR valve shouldn't be an issue, then drill a hole in the head flange & another in the plenum & connect it all up with some thick walled aluminum tubing. Also would make up a mounting flange for the MDP sensor. Only reason going to all this trouble is the cops are getting worse around here & being fwd, I still have to be tested for NOx.

Okay, there's alot of talk about the EVO III IM, but I've recently come across what is being called an EVO I IM. Is this the same thing? I was told by the owner that it was pulled from a 94 EVO I and that it has the EGR port. The TB is also a 60mm TB.

Am I on the right track here... this looks to be ideal, but I only started looking into these IM about a month ago?

Attachments

• EVO Intake Manifold.jpeg
    EVO Intake Manifold.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,895
Daren-
I had a spare 7bolt head buried in my garage that I found. I did not get a chance to measure with a MM tape but when I used a normal tape measure it looks like the head ports are (opposite what we would think) actually a bit bigger than the manifold ports. nothing that a little gasket matching wouldn't fix though. how about a few pics of yours to show off? oh and lucky you, got the rear brace mounted to yours! I want to find one now so there will be no chance of a leak at the flange.

95CarbonEclipse-
From what I can tell in your picture, yours looks to be close to the same as ours. I also do not see any EGR for your manifold. you would see a hole drilled through the little burnt oval on the TB side of mounting flange.
hope it works out for you. additional pics?

Good Luck

-Dan

Daren,

sorry, forgot to mention it.
I believe it will be difficult to mount the coil pack in the stock location because of how close that will put it to the fuel rail.. like in the fuel rail. from looking at this IM installed in evo3s it looks like thats why it faces up. I am probably going to end up useing the 2G coil pack(relocated) too. I have had no luck locating an evo CP but oh well. I have smog next month, then I can start putting on some of the parts I have in a pile in the garage.

-Dan

Okay, there's alot of talk about the EVO III IM, but I've recently come across what is being called an EVO I IM. Is this the same thing? I was told by the owner that it was pulled from a 94 EVO I and that it has the EGR port. The TB is also a 60mm TB.

Am I on the right track here... this looks to be ideal, but I only started looking into these IM about a month ago?

Like Dan mentioned, this does look like the evoIII mani to me as well & it doesn't appear to have an EGR either (which is normal). Like he said, the is no hole in the head flange, you can see the cast EGR flange or the additional material on the outside of the #4 runner & you also don't have a location to mount the MDP sensor. It looks like this mani is missing the one vacuum port on the drivers side end of the mani, like mine & Dans, are you sure its a 60mm TB opening? (as ours are 54mm & the ones with the 60mm opening seem to have this extra port)

Dan, yeah I did get the mount with mine. Didn't think it was a big deal at first, I'd just reuse my stocker but after taking a look, it seems the shorter runners also don't drop down as far as the stocker so the stock bracket probably won't fit correctly. I did a quick sandblast job on mine but don't like the way it turned out, so am going to get it bead blasted. I will defently post some pics once I get the mani all finished up, before I do the install. I'll try to grab some current pics as well, if I remember.

It looks like this mani is missing the one vacuum port on the drivers side end of the mani, like mine & Dans, are you sure its a 60mm TB opening? (as ours are 54mm & the ones with the 60mm opening seem to have this extra port)

That's what I was told. I didn't actually measure it myself.

As far as the EGR valve goes, I guess it's not really that big of a concern for me... I don't live in an area that does smog testing.

That's what I was told. I didn't actually measure it myself.

As far as the EGR valve goes, I guess it's not really that big of a concern for me... I don't live in an area that does smog testing.

The no EGR valve shouldn't be an issue for you, even if they did do smog testing in your area. The EGR is just for the NOx & they can only test for this under a load. Being awd, I don't know of any testing stations that have awd dyno's, so either way you'll be fine. Only issue that could come up is if they get strict & do a visual but you can always make up a flange & mount the EGR to fool them.

Hey guys :)

Been on here for a while looking for some info on a problem I have then came across this thread.

I actually own a Evo 3 so if you want me to grab piccys of the manifold just say. Point of interest though is the Evo 1-3 manifolds come with and without the EGR.

Also the 3 manifolds tends(not sure if 100%) to have the extra vacuum pipe sticking out the end while the 1's and 2's dont.... not 100% sure on this like I said but this is from the manifolds I have seen.

Pics would be effing GREAT!!

Also the 3 manifolds tends(not sure if 100%) to have the extra vacuum pipe sticking out the end while the 1's and 2's dont.... not 100% sure on this like I said but this is from the manifolds I have seen.

Which extra port are you reffering to? If you can copy and edit one of the posted pics highlighting the extra port you're referring to. Thanks.

Thats a damn good price right there!
to bad shipping will probably kill it:barf:

welcome to the evo3 IM club!
now its a race to see who will get their's on and tested first!

EvoCarl-
no pics and we BAN YOU!
just kidding:D
pics asaFp though! also could you send some straight to email? Im on duty today so no pictures come through for me:mad:

thanks

-Dan

95CarbonEclipse
I believe the picture in the auction you won is actually of my manifold and the one you purchased will have the EGR. He had 2 for sale (1 with and 1 without EGR). I'm guessing he used pictures of mine in both auctions. I worked out a deal before you posted about finding yours, so you probably didn't see it. Here's a link though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330180091192&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:US:11 If any of you guys get the manifold put on and log a difference in airflow, please post the results. It will be awhile before mine actually goes in the car. It's going on a motor I'm building to replace the one in the car now. Crankwalk is great. Thanks...
Oh yeah, look at the first set of pics on the first page of this thread and you'll see the extra nipple, on the drivers side end of the manifold.

EvoCarl-
no pics and we BAN YOU!
pics asaFp though! also could you send some straight to email? Im on duty today so no pictures come through for me:mad:

thanks

-Dan

You lose ROFL I have been running mine for over a year.

EvoCarl-
no pics and we BAN YOU!

thanks

-Dan
You lose ROFL I have been running mine for over a year.

installed AND TESTED!:p
Did you get a before and after airflow or dyno? maybe even a good old dsmlink HP estimate?

For everyone who hasn't installed there Evo mani's, I think its a good idea to post the ID measurements of the runner port diameters, at the head flange. This way we know if all versions are the same. Guess a measurement of the TB flange is also a good idea.

Will be interesting to see if the mani that Derek won actually has an EGR setup, as I've yet to see this version....

Will be interesting to see if the mani that Derek won actually has an EGR setup, as I've yet to see this version....

You'll notice in the link that white97gst posted. His auction clearly states that that manifold does NOT have an EGR port. We'll still have to wait and see, but I'm feeling more confident that mine will have the EGR port.

I think collectively, we should do a write up on the install procedure once they're all installed.

Thanks for the welcome guys :D

quickly ran out and took pictures with lame phone :) all pictures in the 4g63 non dsm gallery but here they are for the lazy

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and me car :)

I will grab much better ones later when my friend drops his camera down.

I think collectively, we should do a write up on the install procedure once they're all installed.
Derek-
I agree. it will be interesting to see the difference in our installs.

EvoCarl-

well now I amWTF.
your manifold has that extra barb AND a fitting for the EGR!?
I say againWTF

Daren, Anthony what do you guys think??

-Dan

The pics Carl posted appear to be the same mani as the one Anthony has (posted a bunch of pics on the first page), which has the extra vacuum port & the EGR passage is drilled through. I'm assuming that Anthony's mani will also have a thread in this drilled area?

Car, is your EGR system hooked up & if so how? From the pics it just looks like to have a banjo bolt fitting but it doesn't go anywhere? Also if it is hooked up, how is the EGR valve routed back into the intake plenum, as I've never seen a version that has a spot to do so? (or has the MDP sensor mount)

Bit hard for me to answer that daren as I dumped all the egr stuff.That banjo bolt is just the end I used to fill the hole left, funny thing is all EGR's I have seen on Evo 3's the banjo bolt used for the EGR doesnt actually have any hole in it?? WTF

Heres another part of the extra EGR stuff that came on 3's only(I think)

The small canister on the right is what that extra vacuum nipple connects to.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back