The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

keeping boost up between shifts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ineedboostman

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 20, 2010
Macungie, Pennsylvania
Searched a bunch of threads but the only thing ive read is reciculating the bov helps keep the boost up between shifts. No one goes in depth on this. How much does it actually help? Has anyone that switched to vented notice any difference?

been going throughh the same thing since I got a bigger turbo.. anti-lag and no-lift if you have them in your ECU, recirculating the BOV helps but the best thing that i was reluctant to do but am now getting good at is shifting WOT

I like the NLTS. I had it setup on link. The first couple times I used it i was kinda scared to just stay on the gas but in my opionin it helps keep from bogging down and having to build boost for the next gear.

How much does it actually help thou? Is it really that noticable? Im gonna use nlts I was just wondering because i wanted to swap out the greddy bov for the hks.

Is antilag like studder for only off the line?

Hahaha I know man im gonna use it but how much does it actually help keeping it recirced. Am i gonna notice a difference when im not using nlts?

I use nlts with my setup and I'll say it helps so much. Without it I run low 13's with it i hit the 12's. Instead of loosing all boost during shifts, with my boost set at 25 it only drops to like 18 or so. But the main thing is boost stays in the positive which is what you want.

Seems no one has a good answer.

what? these are all the answers there are.. have you tried any of the above ????NLTS, anti-lag or just shifting with the throttle to the floor and recovery would be great. Believe me there's no magical hidden secret or technique we're keeping from telling you, these are how the rest of the board keeps boost up between shifts

One thing i can think of is what BOV are you running? if it's got a tiny hole to releave pressure aside from making noise it's not doing much for you (why the tial 50mm is so popular) the more the thing can let out the more RPM the turbo can maintane between shifts. But ultimately shifting WOT is gonna be the cheapest, best way to go as far as not having to recover boost to start with.

I bring up the BOV because i just started a project to take an Apexi one i have and modify it from having a hole smaller than a nickel, up to something big enough to be effective on a large turbo. I use to run two BOV's back when i noticed how much better my recovery was with a BOV that could actually move some of the volume of air the turbo was pushing out.. most BOV's are fine on stock sized turbos but horribly undersized for anything from an e3 16g and above
edit: that greddy type S isn't letting muchair volume out for use with ah hx-40,, you're gonna need at least 2 of those or a tial 50mm, or shift WOT i say that last one a lot becayuse doing that while using NLTS is the besst thing besides the bottle
also there's always that bit bad nitrous bottle (i love nitrous spooling :D ) that's what i have been using the last 3 years, but recently have been trying all the other methods more in depth for daily constant use and fine tuning their settings to do so...

I see you're running an HX-40, that's a bigger turbo (not sure what you had before) but that wheel is gonna need a little time to get spun back up from a shift, my turbo CAN'T even make 10psi untill i'm past 5k RPM and all the above methods work for me to get me right back to 30psi between every shift (or keeps me from loosing boost to begin with)

anyway, wasn't trying to sound rude with that first couple of lines but these methods work, but then agian with an HX-40 you're gonna have to try a lot harder than you would on a 16g or something to keep recovery times in check on shifts.. going from my 57 trim t3/t4 to the current pt6776 (the same size as a 35r from what i see a lot of people saying) i was hit with a wide awakening as to how much more work it took to not fall on the cars face especially on the 2-3 shift in my GS-T

good luck and let us know what you try and how it's going..info like what your top PSI is and what RPM it hits at, and how fast it recovers (rpm or time in seconds) would help us deciude if you just need more driver improivement, and some NLTS or if you maybe have a problem with the car it's self

I appreciate the feed back and plan on running nlts. Right now I have my rev limit set at 7500 and when I shift I don't really notice much boost loss at all. Maybe because of the 55ar housing that's my only guess. It does spool pretty nice for the size and it definitly worth the little extra wait when boost hits. I was just mainly concerned about having read one of the previous posts saying it helped keep boost up when shifting that when I switched to the vented I'd notice a big difference. Guess I doesn't matter I'll just start using nlts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back