The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Just bought a cheap 1g N/T 4g63 and need help starting it

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91Bomb

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2003
US, New_Jersey
Just picked up my 4th 1g dsm and it's 2.0 N/T 5-spd. The guy told me the ecu was bad so I swapped in my good turbo 1g ecu and car cranks but does not try in the slightest to fire up and start. The question I have is SHOULD the known good turbo ecu at least get that engine spuddering assuming the N/T ecu it came with is in fact bad?

Thanks for the link!

So apparently the car should at least start even if it runs very poorly. The car shows low on gas gauge so perhaps it's just out of gas..

Well i put gas in the car and car cranks good but shows no sign of wanting to fire up. Swapped out ecu with my good turbo ecu once again and same thing. Pull trouble codes and it indicates problem with crank angle sensor so I swapped my good black top CAS with the black top the car came with and got same results.

What should I be looking at next?

Last edited:
Ok today I found out the timing belt is slipping so my amateur guess is the tensioner is bad. The engine cranks and t-belt will turn for a second or two and then it doesn't but cam gears spin while all other belts turn. I then put a socket on 1 of the cam gears and t-belt slips while turning it. Belt doesn't feel loose to the touch. I checked for spark before discovering that t-belt wasn't turning properly and got no spark so I'm surmising that cams need to turn for there to be spark. What do you guys think about this?

I think if your timing belt is turning without the cams, not getting spark is the least of your worries. Tear off the timing covers to inspect the timing belt and hydraulic tensioner.

I think if your timing belt is turning without the cams, not getting spark is the least of your worries. Tear off the timing covers to inspect the timing belt and hydraulic tensioner.

I'm assuming there's something wrong with the tensioner since the belt is not broken but slips. Since the car is a very cheap N/T i just bought to try and get running to resell and make a few bucks on it probably looks like I'll just start tearing down the whole car and part it out. I don't have any experience working on timing components and to me it doesn't appear to be that promising to fix myself unless it happens to be a matter of removing lower t-belt cover and ?possibly just tightening the tensioner?

Any advice is appreciated since I'm thinking about just parting this car out asap unless anyone thinks this might be a simple + cheap fix.

Car is being sold for parts now :D

Attachments

• Photos 001.jpg
    Photos 001.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 189
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back