The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

jack stands placement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipse012

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2008
canada, AB_Canada
Just wondering on what stands you use, and where you guys are placing your jack stands. Also what are your jack points you use on your car? Just noticed the other day that the pinch welds on my car are starting to bend a bit. If it keeps on bending and i get a flat tire, and need to use the emergency jack, it might not fit in the pinch weld anymore. Not so good. So i would like to find new places to put the stands / know new lift points. I have been placing my floor jack in the center of the crossmember under the engine to lift up the whole front of my car at once, & from the rear i have been placing it under the rear diff. The jack stands are all under the 4 pinch welds in the notched area's for the emergency jack. Are there jack stands that are formed for pinch welds? i thought about putting a nice slit through a hockey puck to put inbetween the pinch weld and jack stand, but if the puck broke and im under the car i would probly shit myself. Any pics would be apreciated.

I always lifted the entire nose using the crossbeam under the engine, right under the motor mount. Then I'd put the jackstands under the solid plates where the compression arms meet the chassis. Then I'd lift the entire tail via the diff and put the other two jackstands under the plates where the trailing arms meet the chassis.

(I used this order simply because the nose would be too low to get the jack under if I lifted the tail first.)

I used a hockey puck on the jack and stick-on furniture pads on the jackstands. I assume that you can get a hold of the former in your location, eh?

Hahaha. You know it eh budday! LOL. The jack stands i got are too big to fit on the plates that i think your talking about. One side of the stand will hit a bolt :( Any pics of this to make sure i'm thinking of the same area? I will try to find a pic to show what i think your talking about.

Thanks

I have no pics (nor the car anymore), but those steel plates are the best locations to use. (Stay away from the "beams" under the floor, for example; they cannot take anything close to the weight of the nose.) If the heads on your jackstands are too large for this, I'd get new ones or make something that will focus the support on those plates. Having a method of quickly and confidently putting your car on stands is critical to owning a DSM. tee hee

so i circled the area's that i think your talking about for the plates. I just threw the cross member in there as well just incase anyone else ever needed to know were to put the jack on it. I couldn't find the tail end undercarraige pic of our cars yet.

Attachments

• cross member.jpg
    cross member.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4,924
  • plates.jpg
    plates.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 5,668
On the first picture, go a couple inches forward with the jack.I never go where holes are drilled.

On the second picture,I would put the stands in the circle yes.

In the second pic, it looks like you're circling the gusset on the lateral arm. That's not what I used. Follow the curved (compression) arm back to the chassis and you'll see a much more solid plate. That's what I used.

Upon further review of the 2nd picture. My conclusion is that another sub frame connector could be added on the drivers side. But then an oil change might be a PITA.

Go infront of the holes there.Torwards the nose.That's how I jack mine up.

Anywhere on that plate for the stands should be fine.On the 1gs, The large bushing to the inside there does not stick out so much.You see how the nut is up,but the bolt is sticking out. On the 1gs it don't stick out that far. I put my stands there, or in that area so to speak.

Nope. Look at your red circle on the right. Look inside the circle, but towards the right edge. See the round hole that looks to be about an inch in diameter? That hole is in the plate I'm talking about.

It's been a while, so it seems I described in incorrectly earlier. It's not as close to the inboard end of the compression arm as I thought.

A few weeks.Ohh yeah jack stand balling, Right.

My situation was that it was -20 outside, there was 2 feet of snow on the ground and it was outside. Flash freeze so nobody knew it was coming. It wasn't my dd at the time so I didn't bother haha.

Well the proper placement is where the yellow lift points are. :thumb:

The last circled area is the best and is most likely where the car was lifted while on the assembly line. You can lift a car by the pinch seams like it is on the picture, the only issue is that its a common rust area on some cars.

Did you miss the part about avoiding those places when they start to bend and/or split? :thumb:

Not to thread jack, but I've seen many DSM's lifted from that point when I see them in shops, and many of them have been bent badly/splitted and even rusted. How would one go about fixing that? Just curious.

I always place my jackstands around the tow loops, really thick metal and a nice firm placement for the jackstands that have a notch in the middle.

Got my answer. thread is open to anybody who wants to add to it. Just please use pictures and show the area's where you place your stands, so it avoids people second guessing themselves like i did after i learnt the hard way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back