1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Is Low 1st different than D 1st?

Posted by GSX_Dan, Aug 10, 2018

Please Support STM Tuned
  1. GSX_Dan

GSX_Dan Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    So why does 1st use different combination of clutches between the D and L position according to this chart? Is it even the same gear then? Looks like both use rear clutch but the one way clutch(sprag in gearset) gets switched for Low-Reverse clutch in L position.

Does the low-reverse clutch have more durability/strength than 1 way clutch? You're supposed to use L in towing, descending on hills, engine braking, etc hard loads.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. 97 eclenger

97 eclenger Proven Member

Joined Jan 22, 2014
    Durham, North Carolina
    Some shifters give you a 1,2,3,D,N and P. All it means is 1 will only stay in 1st gear and 3 will still go through 1,2 and stop at 3rd. Another way to describe it is turning off the overdrive on an auto. You have another gear after but it's not going to go into that gear because it's not turned on. Hope I described that good enough

3. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    One is to allow for second gear to come in when it needs to in drive the other parts are used as the minimal parts thats needed to achieve low gearing knowing that it not going to shift into second.

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Drag Race Build

GT42   manual
  4. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    I believe it changes line pressure also, but don't quote me on it.

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

14b   automatic
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

13.620 @ 108.460 MPH
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

13.612 @ 107.760 MPH
  5. GRAVEDIGGER

GRAVEDIGGER Proven Member

Joined Nov 26, 2007
    Uniontown, Ohio
    Yes, you are correct. Any automatic transmission that allows it to be held in low (1), or low (2) etc. will see full line pressure.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

12.149 @ 115.940 MPH
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  6. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Thanks Matt, for backing me up on that. I hate giving out "so-so" info if I'm not sure. I was "pretty sure" on that but very glad you chimed in!!!

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

14b   automatic
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

13.620 @ 108.460 MPH
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

13.612 @ 107.760 MPH