The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Installed Nexus 7 in dash of 2g- too easy!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melg40

Probationary Member
Dec 27, 2013
Villard, Minnesota
So, today I finally got my Nexus 7 installed in my dash. If you have the factory in car amp under your seat, and the Metra 70-7003 wiring harness, all you need is a couple sets of RCA Y splitters and a RCA to 3.5mm adapter. Simply hook that up to your wiring harness's 4 RCA's and the 3.5mm into your device and voila! All speakers work! including your tweeters. Install and equalizer app and you're set.

The Nexus fits perfectly in the Double DIN opening of the bezel. The tablet is currently held in with tape, until i get some fiberglass work done.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have an ELM 327 i got off Ebay for about $10 and DashCommand to sync with it,
Also installed AutoMate for my tablet so i have a simple interface while I'm driving.
I can tether Wifi with my phone if I need to.

Overall, I'm happy with it so far. here's a video of the install and a few of the apps

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Only if the Nexus runs Windows. I have a Dell Venue 8 that I use to log via ECMLink, but I haven't quite found a place to put it. This would work except I want to be able to keep my eyes on the road and a log at the same time.

I have a trim piece and holder and have a nexus 7 in my gs300, what are you doing for power? Take it out to recharge? Cig lighter power doesn't quite keep up when using gps/netflix in car

Edit: Watched whole video sorry for posting before, anyone know what kinda of output it would take to keep a nexus charged?

right now i am taking it out to charge, but i did wire in a USB charger and put it where the cig lighter was.

i have the nexus 7 in mine to, easy instal, do you get buzzing with urs? also have the dell venue 8 with a window mount so i can see it and the road, works awesome for logging

i have the nexus 7 in mine to, easy instal, do you get buzzing with urs? also have the dell venue 8 with a window mount so i can see it and the road, works awesome for logging

The only time I get buzzing is when there is nothing plugged in.

i am going to do something similair in my car but i am wondering what you wired the amp into for the power?
edit: never mind i see what you did now!

Last edited:
Looks good. I plan on doing that with my nextbook, then running a wire to the keyboard in the glove box for dsmlink.

How hard would it be to upgrade a better amplifier with that setup? Sorry. I can rebuild transmissions and engines but when it comes to stereos and speakers im not too knowledgable in that department LOL i got some studying to do :idontknow:

So you can only do this easily if you have the stock amp or could I just get that rca connector and begin wiring it like you did

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back