The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Hta68 or E316g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drcolt

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
Toronto, ON_Canada
Currently have E316G externally gated on manifold at 19psi.
Dynoed at 300hp.
6 bolt stock block and head. BC 264 cams. v3 and 750FIC . 3" GM maf (going SD). 3" DP and exhaust. Small yonaka FMIC. This motor is in my 88 Colt. Plenty happy with the power.

My 89 Colt is currently fitted with a stock 6 bolt and 14b. 2.5" DP and exhaust. Starion fmic. Walbro 255.
Looking for same HP. Since I'm shopping for a new Turbo, should I bother going to hta68 with internal gate?. Not looking to boost much more than 20psi. This 89 Colt will have a similar mod list as the 88.
I'm on the fence with both Turbos. Hta68 or Evo123 16g.
Also, should I bother with external waste gate?looking to keep it simple.

v2 68hta is not fairly comparable to an evoIII16g. think of it as an FP green with a j pipe comp cover. more power potential? oh yes. more lag? Oh even more so. Is the lag with the power gain? I certainly didn't think so.. but if you are USED to how an evoIII 16g performs and reacts then I would imagine you will be very underwhelmed with the v2, especially if you are keeping it under 20psi.. My 68hta "woke up" around 25+ .. anything under that and it just felt lazy. IF you could find a v1 68hta I will always recommend that over both evoIII and v2 68hta.

Between a maxed out V1 68HTA and a maxed out evoIII16g-

The evo III has worked out better for me so far.

We are talking about different boost levels though.

I havent completely given up on the V1 just yet but the evoIII has been all around better so far on my pumpgas/methanol setup.

So like I gathered from having read countless older thread, the advantage of the hta68 is when running higher boost than what I am planning on.
If I were to improve the intake side (larger tb , intake imanifold , head work), then the HTA68 would be the way to go.
The car is driven rarely and never sees the track. It needs to be enjoyable on the street without having to keep the rpms high.

Thanks for the input so far. It's also fwd, so no point aiming for high HP. As we all know traction becomes an issue over 300hp.

Nick (Vegas) Is just trolling as always.. using the term lightly. I wish some of you would read the thread thoroughly. if he's running low boost the heat/knock issues that arise in the v1 (that I never personally noticed even at 30psi) is a complete non issue. and given the weight of the colts I'd say he'd be set with a 16g.

FWD... stay with the evo3, a v2 hta68 might be an ok choice as its laggy, might help with wheel spin. I could about spin all 4 tires in my gsx with a v1 hta68 style turbo 23psi, I couldnt imagine FWD

Other then that, any 16g style you go with is going to be about the same at 300hp. Why not even consider something like a 20g/green/50trim... soo much more pull in the higher rpm range, and would help with wheel spin down low :)

A V2 hta68 might be worth considering... noticeably more pull up top, but noticeably more lag, might help with wheel spin.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back