The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

How to build a 2.3l

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud92gsx

Welcome Wagon
Jan 16, 2008
Wisconsin, Wisconsin
Well im gonna stop being a noob here this summer, gets some racing under my belt.
My question is school me on the 2.3l. Thats a 2.0 block with the other crank.Now can I still use 2g pistons, and not have to use stroker stuff like stroker rods and pistons?

I need some help by the short block guys please.

It takes a custom crank (like ~94mm), so they are usually very pricey. Most of the wild ones I see come from JDM builders like JUN and Tomei for Evos. I think most people will just say build a 2.3 stroker using a 4G64 crank in a 4G63 block.

Last edited:
No, but why would you think about doing a halfass job. Also to add a 2.3l is the cheapest to build.

So then switch the convo to 2.3l build 4g block other crank..Id be happy with a 2.3 cheapest to build.

So back to 2.3 not 2.2.

The 2.3 stroker is the 4g63 block, with a 4g64(100mm) crank stuffed into it. Rods aren't any different, but the pistons need to be shorter.

I've read there might need to be a but of the block ground down to fit the crank, but that's it. It's that easy.

This is the set I plan on buying when my stock block goes:
Wiseco Pistons Eagle Rods 7 Bolt 4G63 4G63T Lancer Evo 4 5 6 7 8 - $799.99 : Real Street Performance Engine Parts, Pistons Rods Cams Valvetrain and More

This and go to a junk yard and pull any 7-bolt (or 6 if you need it) crank from a car.

Id just buy a short block from one of the reputable vendors. Its cheaper then doing it all yourself separately. Buying a rotating assembly, prep work on your block, etc, etc .

For people with a limited budget, building the bottom end isnt something id want to go trial and error on. Could get very expensive very quick. Grab a short block and be done with it. Assemble the rest yourself.

Either of these deals are hard to beat.

Force Engineering
Short Blocks

JAM
2.3 Stage 1 Shortblock Package | Jackson Auto Machine

You use 2.0 rods, the wrist pin is higher up on the piston in a stroker setup. I will be using a G4CS in my build. It's just like a 4g63 6 bolt block but with a 100mm stroke and the deck height is 6mm higher.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to use aftermarket forged parts unless you're doing an Auto-X car where your power levels aren't extreme but you want the added torque and displacement to spool the turbo faster.

I could have sworn the link I posted earlier has all the info he needs for info.....

I got 100mm OEM 4g64 crank, Manley H beam Rods, And Wesco pistons. The pistons are stroker pistons. The wrist pin is moved 6mm. You use the same rods but you might as well upgrade while you have the engine apart. And the crank is 100mm instead of the 88mm.

Correct me on this if i am wrong about anything.

So then switch the convo to 2.3l build 4g block other crank..Id be happy with a 2.3 cheapest to build.

So back to 2.3 not 2.2.

This is for a 1g right? The 4g64 has different mounting points, similar (same) as a 2g. Will not "bolt-in" to a 1g.

If you are thinking about stuffing 2g pistons into a 2.3 stroker build, just so you can race, you should take all that money and put it into a 2.0 build. I think you will go faster dollar for dollar.

(imagine spending 2-4k on an engine and stick with whatever turbo you have 14b 16g? compared to keeping your block and spending the same amount on go REAL fast parts, maybe even some suspension)

This is for a 1g right? The 4g64 has different mounting points, similar (same) as a 2g. Will not "bolt-in" to a 1g.

If you are thinking about stuffing 2g pistons into a 2.3 stroker build, just so you can race, you should take all that money and put it into a 2.0 build. I think you will go faster dollar for dollar.

(imagine spending 2-4k on an engine and stick with whatever turbo you have 14b 16g? compared to keeping your block and spending the same amount on go REAL fast parts, maybe even some suspension)

The origanal plan was a 6 bolt block build.Nothing radical,just a 6 bolt with 2g(or evo) pistons, getting the crank polished was about it.

Sticking with under a 20g for sure.Might go small 16g at 20+psi, rather than my 14b at the same pressure.But I do love the 14b spool.

I thought there would be a cheap stroker option.But I dont have the funds for a 2400$ short block,nahh mean.

This thread makes my head hurt. No in short you can not use OEM 2g pistons to make a 2.3 stroker without a 6mm shorter rod and a lot of unnecessary block work. First off why do you want a stroker? Were you told by a sick fast buddy that it's the way to go for stupid fast fly speed? If so punch said buddy in the throat and tell us your real down to earth goals. We can help you build a budget stroker too if that's what you really want but we all need to know what you plan on doing with the car to properly advise.

I paid a little over 1,500$ for my 2.3 stroker. But that was just for the crank pistons and rods the bearings wrist pins and so one cost more but not much. But keep this in mind and I learned this the hard way it's a smart idea to rebuild the head as well stock head internals will go out fast with the increases in power. In total for everything including new 6262 turbo I paid a total of 6,600$.

So if I understand correctly that'd be a 2.3l, 64 crank 63 block stock rod length of 156 mm? I need reliability first and for most.
plan on running small turbo platform 14b to start then upgrad to a 20g
The set up I bought was from a 2.3l that washed out its bearings, eagle rods wisco forged pistons I forgot to ask the C.R. rating tho.
my original goals were 450awhp dd with room to grow if i wanted that would be a street autox monster with the occasional trip to the strip and key RELIABLE. Im still a good ways away from building the motor as im still doing bolt ons but I figured I should really look this stuff up so I know which direction I need to go.

Did you really just highjack buds thread? GTFO LOL

Did you really just highjack buds thread? GTFO LOL

First the thread hasnt been active for awhile and second I dont want to start another thread on the exact same topic and have people freaking out about that to yet.

I'll go back and delete my posts to make you happy sorry buddy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back