The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Hoosier QTP/Rim setup Damage-Would you run it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomdeeze

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 5, 2009
Independence, Minnesota
I just got my 26x9.5x16 Hoosier QTPs and went to look at the GST rims I bought awhile back in preparation for this setup. I found one of the rims looks to have been damaged by a caliper bolt coming loose and causing the caliper to slide around the rim. (Can see what I mean by the pictures) It took off enough to catch your nail on and took more in some spot than others but its very minimal.

My question is, would you run the QTP on this rim at the drag strip? I haven't mounted the QTPs but I doubt this will cause the rim to have balancing issues?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As a person who has worked at a tire shop (CJ's tire), and balanced many, many wheels/tires, I can tell you from first hand experience...

You MIGHT (99% will not) MIGHT get them to balance out (you may have to static balance them to even get them close). Unless you REALLY REALLY need to run them (and I mean like, go to the track once a year) you should get other wheels.. Those wheels are good wall display pieces though! (scuff them with some scotchbrite, spray 'em black, and hang a hose on them!)

On the other hand, I have seem 1 rim, not quite that bad, balance out to almost within .25 ounce / inches. so it could work. But don't say no one warned you if you get a wobbly steering wheel feeling when they are on the car.

If they where steel wheels, I'd say take them to a machine shop and have them sand them down on a lathe, and then they'd still have a 50/50 chance of balancing out well). Bottom line, don't use them. (my 2 cents)

Looks like I will try to find a replacement wheel, the other three are in good shape. Thanks for the help!

The rim will be fine. Make sure you get them bubble/static balanced. You dont do dynamic balancing for slicks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back