The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

homemade oil catch can help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canonize-ryda

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 8, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I am using a power steering res for a oil catch can. I have read the entire aticle on 4g63t pcv system and understand how to use 2 catch cans. I am asking here since my oil dipstick pops out if i could just use the major pressure relief way and go pcv and valve breather to can then can to intake nipple. Am i anywhere close? Or should i try making up 2 catch cans?

I have a breather filter on the vc already but notice excessive VC pressure. Starting to think my pcv is faulty.

I am using a power steering res for a oil catch can. I have read the entire aticle on 4g63t pcv system and understand how to use 2 catch cans. I am asking here since my oil dipstick pops out if i could just use the major pressure relief way and go pcv and valve breather to can then can to intake nipple. Am i anywhere close? Or should i try making up 2 catch cans?

I have a breather filter on the vc already but notice excessive VC pressure. Starting to think my pcv is faulty.

What turbo are you using?? and how many pounds of boost are you running? Cause you might have massive blow by

I run both the PCV and the breather to one inlet on my sealed can and the other inlet to the intake pipe. I get a good amount of water in my can but I run 30+ psi. Seams to work very well and have no water or oil in my intake pipe.

that sounds like blow by have you done a compression test lately?? with only 14psi your dip stick shouldnt be blowing out

Ya your dip stick shouldn't be blowing out at 14 psi, my dip stick doesn't blow out at 30 psi. You could crimp your dip stick tube a little to help hold it it but still sounds like a lot of blow by for 14 psi.

Ya your dip stick shouldn't be blowing out at 14 psi, my dip stick doesn't blow out at 30 psi. You could crimp your dip stick tube a little to help hold it it but still sounds like a lot of blow by for 14 psi.

yea i had a svo that did the same thing it was the rings good luck

my rings where shot when my dip stick was blowing out. Do a leak down test that will tell you what is going on.

Fresh rebuilt motor. Used head. I replaced the rings and all bearings. My oil pressure is 20 and below at idle and upwards of 80 around 5k rpm while speeding up. My dip stick only blew out one time and that was when i was leaking oil from my turbo oil feed line and i had also left my oil fill cap off for the drive. Just let me say oil way everywhere. And btw while trying to set my mbc i shot upwards of 20lbs for a very short second. Just a few times but maybe that blew it out. Either way i am going to install the oil catch can and see what happens. I need one either way.

You honestly dont need one unless your running a very high amount of boost and or hp. My car is at 502hp and running 35psi and i have no oil or dip stick issues.

So Will it be okay to run a oil catch can? Or would you say i just leave my filter on the VC breather? I will be looking at 375-400. I drive it daily and notice when i ran it before my rebuild that it would smoke a little bit now and then. I was thinking if i put some kind of vacuum back in the system that iw would help it vent a little better.

Also i think my pcv valve is faulty and isnt closing all the way causing boost to leak into the vc. This i think is one of my main concerns.

If you can afford the catch can I would install it, it has no bad effects and will just help catch the liquids coming from the pcv and breather. With just that filter on, it can leave a oily layer in your engine bay because it is just venting there.

Yea i just got back from my work shop and made me a catch can out of the resevoir. Turned out nicely. Tapped 3 holes for the lines(2 ins and one out) And then i stuffed the can with steel wool to add as extra filter media. I think it looks good as others that use pop bottles or some kind of metal water bottle.

I looped the 2 lines on bottom together and Think once it fills up ill just un-mount it and pour it out the top fill cap. I have been thinking about also drilling in one maybe after the first change. I'm not good with pictures but im am proud enough of it that i would if i could.

I run both the PCV and the breather to one inlet on my sealed can and the other inlet to the intake pipe. I get a good amount of water in my can but I run 30+ psi. Seams to work very well and have no water or oil in my intake pipe.

So you blocked the IM PCV port... right? How often do you change the oil?

Boost doesn't necessarily have anything to do with excessive crankcase pressure.

You honestly dont need one unless your running a very high amount of boost and or hp. My car is at 502hp and running 35psi and i have no oil or dip stick issues.

Every car is different, regardless of the HP or boost. The only way to know if you have excessive CC pressure is to measure it.

So you blocked the IM PCV port... right? How often do you change the oil?

Well I have a JMF intake manifold so it doesn't have a port which is why I run both lines to one inlet on the catch can. And I will be changing the oil every 3k miles or after a couple of track track runs, whichever comes first.

Yup i read your thread calan. At least i think it was your thread. Anyways i didn't want to use 2 cans. I seen your 3rd diagram and wondered if that would work but i dont think its that extreme of a problem but one i want to address now before its gets my rebuilt turbo, and new intercooler and piping all oily.

Calan since you are the guru at this what would your suggest in my situation.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back