The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Homemade bead roller for intercooler piping

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I want to start by saying I was not the one who came up with this, I found it on YouTube. It was super cheap ($12) and very easy to make and I feel it will be very effective so I'm just passing it on to all of you guys that have helped me out so much already!

So since having the car I have had my intercooler piping pop out of the couplings a handful of times and since I'm currrently working on vacuum leaks and removing the egr I figured why not try coming up with a solution. I also bought a ssqv so I needed to reflange my upper intercooler pipe anyways and now I'm actually planning on getting my pipes powder coated while I have them all off. My problem was that the bead rolled ends were cut off when the previous owner installed them. We are going to put a bead on so the clamp has something to keep it from pulling out of the coupling.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I picked this set of wire crimping pliers at the hardware store for $12. You'll need these or set similar, a flat file, rounded rats tail file and a grinder.

Next I grinded off the the tip of the pliers. I marked it with the blue sharpie.

After grinding, make sure to clean up any sharp edges with the grinder or a file so you don't slice yourself!

Now we need to file down the teeth besides the big rounded crimp part to make enough clearance for our intercooler pipe thickness of the walls.

I had to use this rats tail and a couple other flat files to make it right. This is what took the longest. It is kind of trial and error.

I ended up going with a little wider clearance than my ic pipe wall width because it seemed to do a better job. Like I said this will take a while of fine tuning with the file to get it just right.

The finished product. One thing I learned was as you look at this picture on the inner left side of The pliers where the indent is, you want to make sure the above and below the indent are filed almost completely flat and inline and that the edges where it makes that round indent are nice pronounced or squared edges. At first I had the bottom a little rounded because I thought it would help since it was on the edge side of the ic piping but I had to file the corner nice and squared on both top and bottom so I could make a nice bead otherwise it would have been more half rounded.

Before, factory bead roll on one side and the other side was cut off.

During, I just squeezed nice and hard and kept walking it around. Overlapping each crimp to make a nice roll all the way around. If it starts to curl your edge in a bit just pull up on the crimpers a bit each time you squeeze at it should keep a nice shape. If needed just give enough pressure up to keep it straight doing pull up so hard you flair the edge.

Final product. One factory bead rolled end and one homemade one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back