The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Help! Car won't start/doesn't maintain it

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkPhoria

Proven Member
Feb 24, 2015
South Gate, California
Background:
So I was driving on the freeway and all of a sudden my car starts to lose power as if I wasn't engaged in a gear and pressing the acceleration pedal didn't do anything to increase power. I pulled over and realized my engine overheated. Later when i got it towed it had very low oil and almost bone-dry coolant. A week ago I had just done a full tune up which means it couldn't have been maintainence negligence. After putting more oil and coolant and cranking the engine, it would struggle and want to start but wouldn't unless i held the acceleration pedal. However, the car would run poorly enough to consider it non-drivable. It sputters uncontrollably and makes an awful squealing noise from what seems like the exhaust pipe.

Current symptoms:
-Car won't start unless acceleration pedal is held, although very poorly.
-Engine will die out if I let go of pedal.
-Car battery seems to have lost charge. Things such as rolling down windows and turning on headlights are slow/low-powered.
-Engine squeals from exhaust pipe when on (acceleration pedal held down). Also sounds like a completely different engine.

Checklist:
-Battery charged to allow enough power to start the car. Also, new battery had been tested with the car with the same result.
-Timing has been re-done.
-Front case has a new gasket due to oil leakage from that area.
-Air intake is clean: throttle, air filter
-Spark is good
-Fuel pump turns on fine
-Compression at 180psi on all cylinders
-Downstream O2 sensor was replaced (was done a week before the car broke down)
-Cams in good condition, no bends
-Head gasket seems fine. Not visually-proven. Just no symptoms. No white smoke, no compression loss.

Things considered:
-IAC
-Fuel pressure check
-Fuel injectors
-Computer/wire failure
-PCV

Last edited:
sounds like you have a clogged exhaust. drop the down pipe and see how it runs .

Sounds like the cams are seized in the head from lack of oil, not sure what initially caused the problems but thats what Im thinking the sound and lack of power is at this point.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back