The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Has anyone ran an Orbit/ACL oil pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am not using one of these and this is the first I've heard of this pump, so I really don't have any comments at all I can make about it.
With the quality parts kiggly racing is offering I knew as soon as I read the above post it was a lie! ROFL

Last edited:
[
I hear what you saying and furthermore this is a free country, So nobody should be mocked for using what they want to on their engine inferior or not:thumb: Its all good.

Last edited:
I didnt hear of any oem oil pumps not being sold anymore i just called the dealer here i used to work for and they can still get oem oil pumps.

I didnt hear of any oem oil pumps not being sold anymore i just called the dealer here i used to work for and they can still get oem oil pumps.
I just called my dealer also and they can have me one here tomorrow if I needed it. :idontknow:

I got 45k miles out of an ACL front cover (on a rebuilt 7 bolt from the generally incompetent Overbore.com) before the oil pump wouldn't seal. Original seal was some miserable black plastic 3rd world import. I found out today that even the brown OEM seal installed a month ago can't seal it anymore.

DSM Graveyard has new OEM front covers on sale for $230 so there's even less reason to run anything but.

I can't speak for everyone. ....but mine is still holding up great. Been going strong for over a year on my car, and one that I installed on a friend of mines car for @ 2 yrs now. His car is basically stock/daily driver, my car is built motor / big turbo that I daily drive. No problems from either pump. I basically checked all clearances, debur the gears, and check the castings when I received them. Everything checked out, so I installed them. Been going strong every since.

4 rebuilds from DD to wild 35R, No issue's as stated debur gears and assemble and engine break in PROPERLY, the assembly and break in .. in my mind are crucial ...... around 18psi at idle and rises just as it should as the rpm increase .....

Thanks for the replies fellas, I picked one up last week I plan on using it for a stock 6 bolt rebuild.

Anyone else have input on these pumps? Acl oil pump is priced at 150$ vs 362$ for a new oem 7 bolt pump. People say they have had no issues at various power levels and high rpm revving. Future motor will be holding at least 400whp to the wheels so I don't want to make the wrong choice.

Anyone else have input on these pumps? Acl oil pump is priced at 150$ vs 362$ for a new oem 7 bolt pump. People say they have had no issues at various power levels and high rpm revving. Future motor will be holding at least 400whp to the wheels so I don't want to make the wrong choice.
Ok so when I built my first complete motor I had two choices , the oem and the acl, I ended up purchasing both. Because it was my first complete build all by myself I ran the acl pump just to be safe in case I screwed up. Motor has 1000k on it and made 640 whp on a mustang dyno. An oil pump isn't a complicated piece of hardware. It's literally a aluminum casting with gears in it. I'd run this pump again in a heartbeat. Buy the pump, take it apart ....clean it thoroughly, debur the gear and remove any casting flash. Before you start the car prime the motor with the belt off with a non impact style drill. I spun it until oil came out of the oil feed on the head.

Last edited:
I got 45k miles out of an ACL front cover (on a rebuilt 7 bolt from the generally incompetent Overbore.com) before the oil pump wouldn't seal. Original seal was some miserable black plastic 3rd world import. I found out today that even the brown OEM seal installed a month ago can't seal it anymore.

DSM Graveyard has new OEM front covers on sale for $230 so there's even less reason to run anything but.

I know this is an old thread, but out of curiosity did you get your pump from graveyard?

I know this is an old thread, but out of curiosity did you get your pump from graveyard?

Are you referring to a junk yard or Graveyard Motorsports?

so i did the unthinkable and purchased the cheap oil pump from efay for $30 i figured what the heck ill give it a shot... its for a 6 bolt it doesnt look bad but what AMSRN13 posted gotta go through clean and debur what is there.. the aluminum looked clean. but definitely going to go through and get it cleaned up.. but all holes line up perfectly this is just going on a very mild built maybe 300hp.

other than it being very cheap compared to the ACL what do i stand to risk by using it..

so i did the unthinkable and purchased the cheap oil pump from efay for $30 i figured what the heck ill give it a shot... its for a 6 bolt it doesnt look bad but what AMSRN13 posted gotta go through clean and debur what is there.. the aluminum looked clean. but definitely going to go through and get it cleaned up.. but all holes line up perfectly this is just going on a very mild built maybe 300hp.

other than it being very cheap compared to the ACL what do i stand to risk by using it.

^^^

Just your engine, time, money and inconvenience when you have a broken car. Im not sure why anyone is talking about horsepower when it comes to brands of oil pumps, horsepower has nothing to do with oil pump reliability.

other than it being very cheap compared to the ACL what do i stand to risk by using it.

^^^

Just your engine, time, money and inconvenience when you have a broken car. Im not sure why anyone is talking about horsepower when it comes to brands of oil pumps, horsepower has nothing to do with oil pump reliability.

I've wondered this too. Never understood how HP has anything to do with pump reliability.

I feel like a cheap skate now I just disassembled a pump off an old core motor I had being built that had 158k on it. Had the straight cut gears I cleaned it up and was suprised when I checked clearances and it was perfectly in spec. I even used an actual straight edge. So I cleaned and sealed it all up and I'm going to use it on my new engine I used the cash I was going to use for a new pump on a kiggly hla and a few other things. I did almost buy the acl and I would've had this been no good

That would be the one....

DSM Graveyard and Graveyard Motorsports are the same company/owner. Being that this discussion is for oil pumps, I would keep to the topic.

On another note, you should Google DSM Graveyard / Graveyard Motorsports for your answer about the company... You should find your answer.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back