The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Has anyone ran an Orbit/ACL oil pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMDEMON93

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 18, 2009
San Jose, California
Hey everyone,

I am piecing together my built block, and I am stuck on the oil pump. I can not believe I am finding OEM oil pumps for $300+. That's nuts. I know to stay away from those $50 chinese oil pumps on Ebay, but I am seeing this ACL/Orbit Oil pump on all the vendor sites that retail for about $200. Has anyone ran one of these? Their websites claim OEM quality, but you know you can't believe anything on the internet anymore.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

I was also curious about these pumps a few months ago since there was not many reviews about them out yet. I called and talked to a few vendors about them and they said that they have not had any complaints/failures that they were aware of. So, I went a bit further and ended up calling the manufacture and asking them a few questions. After a few emails back and forth they actually offered to send me one for free to try out and give them some feedback on. So I gladly accepted the offer.
After receiving the pump, I deburred the gears (helical), and checked the clearances. All of them were dead on with meeting the Oem pump specifications. Installed a Oem balance shaft eliminator kit, packed the pump full of lube, and bolted everything to my new engine.
My car is back together now and the new engine is almost broke in, and I have not had any problems so far at all. Oil pressure rises like it should with rpm, and stays consistent at idle after the car is warmed up. Hopefully I can get everything broken in and get a tune on it here soon before the weather gets too cold.
At the end of the day I can honestly say that after only using Oem pumps, the Acl/Orbit pump will be my new go to pump from now on. Since installing mine I have also put one on a friend of mines 2g and his is still going strong also(Daily Driver, few trips to VA, trip to WCF in Maryland). I am also talking to the manufacture about producing a "race version" of the 4g63 pump that would come with straight cut gears instead of the helical. Hopefully to know something about that real soon and will keep the thread updated.

I am not using one of these and this is the first I've heard of this pump, so I really don't have any comments at all I can make about it.

12/3: Edited because wrong.

And no pump comes with straight cut gears, you have to get those separately, and they're oem parts only.

I opted for a JNZ welded BSE oem oil pump, and straight gears.... because I love Josh, and he loves me.

Last edited:
As far as I know, ACL's don't come with gears either. If you find a "new" pump that comes with gears, it's probably not ACL or OEM.

And no pump comes with straight cut gears, you have to get those separately, and they're oem parts only.

I opted for a JNZ welded BSE oem oil pump, and straight gears.... because I love Josh, and he loves me.
The ACL/Obit pump does come with helical gears. Hope to hear if they will make a straight cut gear version in a few weeks.

I would imagine that straight cut gears can be put into this oil pump. I may be wrong but when I ordered my last OEM pump I purposefully selected the straight cut gears. Of course I don't have one of the ACL pumps and set of straight gears sitting around to check this but that's what I would do before diving head first into installing it with straight cut gears.

Check your ACL/Orbit before installation

So, After reading all of the limited available info that i could find on the ACL/orbit oil pumps for the 4g63. I decided to be a Guinea pig and see if this pump is worth it's unbeatable price point. I received the Front case a couple days ago, The case was packaged and sealed well. Before i even thought about installing it on my engine my curiosity got the best of me, so I popped off the oil pump gear cover to check it out 100%.
What i discovered next was a disappointment.
The pictures i posted below should speak for themselves. (take notice the oil galleries) To the left is the ACL/orbit pump gear cover, And to the right is a pump gear cover from a OEM front case i have sitting around from a 6 bolt i salvaged.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I am running one, no oil related problems so far knock on wood. Idle hot I see 15psi 800RPM to 100psi 9500RPM car made 588 through an automatic transmission. I am not using an oil filter housing. Unfiltered Oil exit pump to remote oil filter housing. There the oil is filtered. Filtered oil is then pumped into main oil gallery. Oil pressure is manually adjusted at remote filter. I am very happy with this pump.

so the ACL brand although having a smooth surface unlike the OEM pump
will still function the same. would the slight groove on the OEM pump make any difference?

so the ACL brand although having a smooth surface unlike the OEM pump
will still function the same. would the slight groove on the OEM pump make any difference?
It's not the surface in question it's the size and consistency of the oil retention groove of the oem pump that set it apart from the aftermarket pump the larger groove allows for better oiling of the side wall of the pump gears. If the the difference can be seen in the posted picture I can't imagine what it looks like in person.

That's what you guys are complaining about? I thought there was some major impefection I couldn't see. You know, the whole "can't see the forest through the trees" kinda thing. What you guys are talking about wont make a lick of difference. Is the groove smaller? Yes. Is it large enough to supply enough oil to lubricate that surface? Absolutely.

That's what you guys are complaining about? I thought there was some major impefection I couldn't see. You know, the whole "can't see the forest through the trees" kinda thing. What you guys are talking about wont make a lick of difference. Is the groove smaller? Yes. Is it large enough to supply enough oil to lubricate that surface? Absolutely.
Now that my friend is what set me apart from
90% of other dsm builders little details like that groove inconsistency can't be tolerated on any engine of mine I am truly sorry. That's why some engines last longer than others. Carry on fellas.....

There are plenty of these ACL pumps in service. If there were a problem we'd have seen it by now. Like I said, that groove is more than sufficient to supply enough oil to lubricate that surface. Also, that groove gets a constant supply of fresh oil from the main cavity.

r
There are plenty of these ACL pumps in service. If there were a problem we'd have seen it by now. Like I said, that groove is more than sufficient to supply enough oil to lubricate that surface. Also, that groove gets a constant supply of fresh oil from the main cavity.
I can't believe what I am reading no one said that the pump has problems, which will manifest itself later anyway, Further more that is not the point being argued:ohdamn:. The inconsistency of that oil channel is not good , I don't care how you look at it, Jackson you are a man of measurements you definitely know this!:toobad: Why use an inferior product when better options exist, this is a no braine:idontknow:.

Last edited:
Well **better options actually don't exist. From what I understand ExtremePSI bought up the remaining 6 bolt OEM oil pumps from the dealers years ago. I don't think you can even buy an oem pump from any dealer at this point because no OEM's have them anymore.

It makes me wonder if the hyundai oil pumps can still be bought brand new, or if there are pumps available from the other 4g64 blocks that would be compatible. I dunno, either way if the pump works it is definitely a good part to have someone making aftermarket for us since this is one of the big failure points in these motors.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back