The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

GT42 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4seasons69

Probationary Member
Jun 2, 2012
circle pines, Minnesota
Okay I'm running a journal bearing gt4294 on my car and have a good deal on a journal bearing gt4202. I'm wondering if it would be worth switching? If the extra power is worth the extra spool time? I'm also wondering if anyone has any experience with how the spool of the two turbos compare?

Here's my setup

cylinder block: MAP 2.0l stage 2 shortblock, with wiseco 1400 hd pistons 8.5:1 comp ratio

cylinder head: ported and polished ferrea valves and valve springs, comp 101400 cams

Intake: Big fmic with 3in ic piping, q45 throttle body, jmf drag intake manifold

exhaust: Redjack racing top mount divided t4 exhaust manifold, 4in down pipe

fuel system: twin walbro 310lph fuel pumps, bigger fuel lines, fic 2150cc injectors

tuning: aem ems

Any help or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ps. I have been doing lots of searching

On the old Tpg Tuning 2G we ran he GT4202 and it was a great turbo. From the research and people we talked to they said was not much of a spool difference from a GT4202r and the GT4202 JB because with the weight of the turbine wheel on either turbo it still took almost the same amount time for full boost. So I don't think going from a 94 to a 102 compressor wheel would change drastic

Btw we made 863 hp on 42 psi with 2.5" ICP and stock ignition and stock throttle body

Last edited:
Edit: not housing, meant turbine wheel! Sry
Not turbine- you meant compressor.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• GT4294-731376-0001-compmap.jpg
    GT4294-731376-0001-compmap.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 64
  • GT4202_map.jpg
    GT4202_map.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 67
^^ yes my bad I don't know where that came from. Edited it!

What kind of power are you currently making on the 4294? What exactly is a "good deal" on the 4202? Even more importantly, what exhaust housing are you running now vs. planning on running with the 4202?

What kind of power are you currently making on the 4294? What exactly is a "good deal" on the 4202? Even more importantly, what exhaust housing are you running now vs. planning on running with the 4202?

The good deal is under 1k for a brand new 4202 from someone I know. We haven't worked out an exact price yet. On the 4294 the car made 651awhp on a dyno dynamics and 759awhp on a dynojet with 1600cc injectors and no porting on the cylinder head.

I'm running a precision .98a/r on the 4294 and the 4202 is also a precision .98a/r

I'm thinking of building a high compression, aluminum rod 2.0 & running a 4202. Will see life at the track, but mostly on the highway.

Top mount v-band & a 1.02 a/r

should be a fun setup

Btw we made 863 hp on 42 psi with 2.5" ICP and stock ignition and stock throttle body

That's pretty good! What kind of dyno was that on? What kind of fuel were you using and what was the spool like? Thanks

The good deal is under 1k for a brand new 4202 from someone I know. We haven't worked out an exact price yet. On the 4294 the car made 651awhp on a dyno dynamics and 759awhp on a dynojet with 1600cc injectors and no porting on the cylinder head.

I'm running a precision .98a/r on the 4294 and the 4202 is also a precision .98a/r

What fuel/boost/rpm did you hit those numbers at?

What fuel/boost/rpm did you hit those numbers at?

I'm running e85, and it was 36psi. Can't remember the rpm it made peak power at. I'm at work right now but if it helps red line is set at 9500rpm

That's pretty good! What kind of dyno was that on? What kind of fuel were you using and what was the spool like? Thanks

It was on a dynojet, Q16 fuel, and spool was not bad. We drove the car on the street a good bit and it was pretty responsive IMO.

I'm running e85, and it was 36psi. Can't remember the rpm it made peak power at. I'm at work right now but if it helps red line is set at 9500rpm

when you shift in to 3rd, or do you double clutch the pedal, or just ride out the clutch

What rpms are u shifting at if this helps? dose the car build boost at 4500rpms..

Double clutch? What is this The Fast and The Furious?

I would think if your not maxing out your current set up is there really a need to upgrade?

Okay here's a little more info I forgot to mention. I had an engine failure last summer. The turbine wheel on mine is damaged from metal going out the exhaust. So i will get a new center section for the 4294, or have the possibility of a good deal on a 4202. Or look into other turbos.

Also I want to stick with E85 for now and idk how much more the 4294 has in it on e85

when you shift in to 3rd, or do you double clutch the pedal, or just ride out the clutch

What rpms are u shifting at if this helps? dose the car build boost at 4500rpms..

Um I shift around red line. 9k or so. Boost by 4500? It's a gt42 I was seeing 24psi by 5700rpm on the dyno last time it was on the dyno.

It was on a dynojet, Q16 fuel, and spool was not bad. We drove the car on the street a good bit and it was pretty responsive IMO.

Those are good numbers. Not sure how e85 compares to q16 but I'd like to get up over 800whp on a dynojet

We never ran E85 in that car but we did in a lot of 35r and 37r built evos and I was very impressed with the power we were able to pull out of them. E85 is good stuff, I would love to run it in my DD but its s till hard to find over this way.

E85 is pretty readily available around here in the twin cities in mn. MAP sells e98 if I remember correctly so there is always the option of going to better fuel but I really just want to stick with something I can get at a regular gas station for now

It's a street/strip car right now. It will eventually be turned into basically just a drag car

I think you should max out your setup first before trying to move bigger

Or even go to a smaller more usable turbo

E
I think you should max out your setup first before trying to move bigger

Or even go to a smaller more usable turbo

Again my turbo is damaged I can get a new 4202 for considerably less than a a new 4294 hence why I want to know how the two compare. And I also stated I want to stay on E85 and idk how much more a 4294 has in it on e85.

The car already has a gt42 on it. See my avatar. I can rev to 10k if I want. How is a gt42 not usable?
Plus if I go to a smaller frame size turbo I have to change intake and exhaust and I don't know if i want to go through all that hassle.

Let's try and keep this thread on topic as to how the two turbos compare

I would go the upgrade path if the 4294 is damaged and needs repair. But I will also add that the 4294 should still have a lot left in it E85 is a great fuel I know a few cars up here in Denver making around the 1,000 horse power mark on E85 and never have any fuel issues.

But if you know you might want to upgrade eventual anyway there is no sense in wasting money just get the 4202. You should also look at the class rules you plan on racing in there are some that don't allow a 74mm turbo in the class.

I would go the upgrade path if the 4294 is damaged and needs repair. But I will also add that the 4294 should still have a lot left in it E85 is a great fuel I know a few cars up here in Denver making around the 1,000 horse power mark on E85 and never have any fuel issues.

But if you know you might want to upgrade eventual anyway there is no sense in wasting money just get the 4202. You should also look at the class rules you plan on racing in there are some that don't allow a 74mm turbo in the class.

This is some good info. Thanks! Well I'm not 100 percent sure what I want to do with the turbo honestly. But the turbo will be costly to repair so I'm trying to weigh my options and figure out what the best route to go is. I can get a good deal on a 4202 but I also like the sound of fp's jb hta4294 LOL.

You could call FP and ask them how much it wold cost to rebuild your 4294 into a HTA then take that cost into consideration for the 4202. They should be able to give you a quote over the phone.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back