The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Good Indianapolis Area Machine Shop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97egl

Proven Member
Feb 6, 2014
Brownsburg, Indiana
I've had nothing but bad luck with the only 2 machine shops I could find in Indianapolis. Schmidt Automotive ran a cutter over my cylinder head so fast that it couldn't seal to an MLS head gasket as well as messed up a block that was supposed to be decked .050 so bad that the pistons where proud .015 on one side and .010 below the deck on the other side. Then richards cylinder heads couldn't line bore a new cam cap in on a cylinder head and tried to tell me they pressure tested it and it failed when all I had asked for was the line bore to be done for a new cap. Someone had tried to line bore it and messed up so why they would pressure test it AFTER trying to do work on it is beyond me.

Anyways I am looking for a machine shop that does good work around here. I'm willing to drive an hour or so if I have to. I have to get another block decked .050 a cylinder head resurface, as well as a 6 bolt block bored from 85mm to 86mm for the new pistons I got and I cannot afford to have the 6 bolt block messed up.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area

I will be attending RPI this year to find exactly that. My DSM is sorted (except for the fuel injector seals that have gotten lost in the mail twice over the past month) but I am kicking off a 350hp/L build next year in a different car and will be searching for a machine shop/engine builder as well as a dyno tuner in Indy for that. The show starts the first Thursday in December and I am told that you can't get through all of it even if you're there from open to close all three days. I'm hopeful that I fill find someone.

It's not a 4g63 block that I'm needing decked. Thats for a 2.4 Chrysler (PT Cruiser) engine that I have swapped into my 89 Daytona hornet/enduro car. I'm doing it to bump the compression to 10.5:1 I know it's not the correct way to bump compression but it's a lot cheaper than buying pistons and has never caused any issue besides when there is incorrect machining. Whether I buy pistons or deck it I'll still have to have some machining done.

As far as the bore on the 6 bolt It's got a pretty bad gouge in it from dropping a few valves when the timing belt broke. The worst mark in the block is about .013 deep from what I could measure with a pinpoint snap gauge. So .030 oversize would have been alright but I found a good deal on some 9.0:1 86mm Wisecos. The engine is going to spend most the rest of its life running 4500 to 6500 rpm for 300 laps in a row over and over again. More than likely there will be a rod thru the side of the block or a spun bearing before the bores would get worn to the point of needing to go up in size so I'm not cheating myself out of anything by going to the max oversize. It has nothing to do with thinking i'm gaining HP by going with the "biggest" piston I can get if that what you where thinking.

Ahh I gotcha. On a big power turbo application the extra .010" wall thickness ends up being the difference between staying together and splitting a wall it seems like. If your going to be buzzing it for a long time, look into getting a kiggly HLA regulator, it'll help keep oil in the pan instead of floating around in the head. If you want to play around with some experimental shit, look at some honda B18 pistons, 150 rod and 100mm crank. Gonna have to mill the piston tops a bit, but big compression and 2.3l on the cheap.

I don't know how far you want to drive, but capitol city machine here in springfield, IL has done a pretty good job for me on anything I've had done. I don't know if they can linebore/hone cam tunnels on these engines though (no tooling for it). They are the engine shop for a NHRA funny car team, so they are pretty geared toward nitro hemi shit (tooling wise).

Springfield is a little farther than I'd like to go 6 hrs round trip for me. There has to be a good machine shop within an hour of where I'm at just a matter of finding them. I feel like the guys that deal with v8's think they can do a piss poor job on 4 cylinder stuff because it doesn't matter. I need a shop with someone that cares about the work they do and not what it's going on.

I picked up a recommendation for Fathouse Fabrications in Greenwood. They cater to the Mustang crowd but all of the recommendations that I got were from Subaru owners. Apparently they're good when it comes to engine builds, although I didn't get the impression that they would be terribly cheap. Maybe it's worth a call. I'm still waiting for PRI next week.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back