The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Godspeed super 20g Turbo Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwan

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 7, 2008
Sioux falls, South_Dakota
hey everyone, i just ordered a Godspeed super 20g Turbo from ebay, not sure how much hp i can get out of this turbo, they say it support 300 to 500hp but i'm willing to give it a test on how much i can get out of it, so i would like your help with what i should have on the list with the super 20g turbo so far got this on my car ;

jdm 6 bolt swap with wiseco pistons and 1G rods. K&N airfilter/intake, evo3 big16G turbo, 3"downpipe all the way, tubular headers,rebuild tranny with 2600 act clutch kit with light flywheel, Apexi exhaust, FMIC, uicp,lower icp ,NGR type s bov, walbro 255 fuel pump, evo 550cc injectors, turboXS MBC, safc2, coil on plug, short shifter.three pillar pod cluster with boost gauge, and air fuel gauge,sway bars(front and back)18" zenetti Five black chrome lip rims, drilled slotted rotors front and back ,megan racing lowering springs on the car also got skunk2 coilovers but don't have performance struts and shocks, what kind of performance struts and shocks to go with the skunk2?

thanks for reading.

Last edited:
eager to see the results. thinking about buying one too

I'll save you guys waiting for results. Here's what its gonna do.
1. It's gonna spool slower than a MHI unit
2. It's gonna make less power than a MHI unit
3. Soon as you start leaning on it, it will fail quickly.
4. Better than average chance half the bolts won't line up.

not true, you don't know this unless you've had the same setup or someone you know and that shit on them like you say it would! besides in other mod list to get for this setup, would a wideband be good to have with this setup if so which one to choose?

not true, you don't know this unless you've had the same setup or someone you know and that shit on them like you say it would! besides in other mod list to get for this setup, would a wideband be good to have with this setup if so which one to choose?

Sorry but he's pretty much right as far as the turbo being garbage. You're MUCH better off picking up a used MHI turbo for not much more.

You will need a wideband if you plan on doing any tuning at all, plus it's just a smart thing to have. I've had both the AEM and LC-1, I personally prefer the LC-1 but that's just me, both work well and are comparatively priced.

How much did you spend on the "JDM" 6 bolt which is basically the same motor that originally came with the car?

got the 6 bolt block with the pistons for $800, so if i were to change plans on turbo, what would some good turbo options for around 400hp that would be direct bolt on ?

also wanted to know if anyone here knew which eam wideband or lc1 and where to buy?

I never said it would be garbage, just under performing, and have a limited life. And your right, I have not had a godspeed 20g, but I have had a godspeed 16g, and a godspeed manifold.

Guess what the 16g did...
1. Didn't make anymore airflow than my 14b.
2. Spooled slower than a real MHI
3. Didn't have the live span of a MHI turbo. It did last about 10k with the WG wired shut, which I didn't think was soo bad.

I have a godspeed turbonetics knock off manfifold on my car, and guess what, every single bolt hole is out of place.

They just don't have a good track record of being solid performers.

Sure its gonna out perform your t25 or a 14b, but if you think your gonna bolt on that 20g, and get the same performance as every other MHI 20g, or even a MHI 16g, your either delusional, or retarded.

I never said it would be garbage, just under performing, and have a limited life. And your right, I have not had a godspeed 20g, but I have had a godspeed 16g, and a godspeed manifold.

Guess what the 16g did...
1. Didn't make anymore airflow than my 14b.
2. Spooled slower than a real MHI
3. Didn't have the live span of a MHI turbo. It did last about 10k with the WG wired shut, which I didn't think was soo bad.

I have a godspeed turbonetics knock off manfifold on my car, and guess what, every single bolt hole is out of place.

They just don't have a good track record of being solid performers.

Sure its gonna out perform your t25 or a 14b, but if you think your gonna bolt on that 20g, and get the same performance as every other MHI 20g, or even a MHI 16g, your either delusional, or retarded.

alright man, thanks for your support, so mr wise man, what turbo should i go with and why? around 400hp

There are 6 million different combinations of turbo's that can make 400whp. You need to be more specific. Then, you need to do your own research.

I'd think that godspeed unit would do it, but I would expect to change them as often as your oil.

got the 6 bolt block with the pistons for $800, so if i were to change plans on turbo, what would some good turbo options for around 400hp that would be direct bolt on ?

also wanted to know if anyone here knew which eam wideband or lc1 and where to buy?

There's a lot of different turbos that could get you there, you just have to do a lot of research to help you find out which one best fits your needs.

As for the wideband, like I already said, AEM or LC-1, they both work great, only thing is you can't log AFR's with the AEM (without some modification at least), but you can with the LC-1.

There's a lot of different turbos that could get you there, you just have to do a lot of research to help you find out which one best fits your needs.

As for the wideband, like I already said, AEM or LC-1, they both work great, only thing is you can't log AFR's with the AEM (without some modification at least), but you can with the LC-1.

thanks for the info

Well, I have been waiting for years to post this. I will need to get back out and with link proof of evidence of what my car is doing right now. I may also try and post videos of the condition of the turbo. I picked up over three years ago now the godspeed super 20g. I was strapped to a budget and found the stock 14b was blown and hadnt planned on buying a turbo at the time. So I thought what the hell for now it will run.
I have had this turbo running on my 90 gsx for just over three years on 25psi, e85 and 21* timing from about 4000/4500 to red line. The turbo still to this day is holding strong. I have no shaft play in or out nor up or down. I also run my oil feed line from the oil filter housing.
Prior to installing the turbo I had also took it all apart and inspected it down to the casting and bearings and everything seemed with in normal tolerances for a journal bearing turbo. I also run a ebc as I had mbc and feel they are all junk from my experience. I see full spool up roughly around 4000/4500 rpms. I beleive it's also flowing some 49lbs a minute. Again I will need to go out and get some new logs this summer. I plan to hit the dyno and make it to the track and see whats is capable of.
I will put it this way the oem replacement clutch will not hold the power. I switched to a spec stage 2 which is to hold 375lbs of torq and it will slip after a few pulls. I have a twin disk currently waiting to be installed here before I can go out and get some logs and refine the tune some.
I will agree ebay turbos are a gamble and you never know what your going to get. But, From personal experience to many friends running ebay turbos these days I have seen many more success stories than fail stories. A lot of the fail stories where primarily when these turbos started showing up on ebay. Personally I think they may have come along way than when they started. Comparing it to huyandi when they first started selling cars to what they sell now. For that matter look at Kia as well.
Anyway, I will try and follow up with my own thread when I get the twin disk installed and post some hard facts and logs from link. I will hopefully get the dyno this summer and will defanately make it to the track once or twice with some numbers.
The way it feels with the local scene the car currently has had the best race recently with a yamaha r6. Close race depending on who got the jump.

Sorry it's been a while. The car continues to under go changes.

Currently it's down for a rebuilt head with Ferrea dual valve springs and sodium filled valve with high temp valve seals and 3g lifters. It will also be seeing a set of hks 272 cams. However I am waiting on h11's and a smim.

As for track time I don't have any specific times. I used to get to the track fairly often but, as life has gotten busy with kids and other adult responsibilities I have less time for the car for such events. However, I believe if I can drive the car well it should see in the range of a mid 11.

The other down side is the local DSM group hasn't had a dyno day in a long time now and I don't even have specific numbers there either as I hoped to.

Hopefully this summer will change and I can make it to both of those after these changes I am making.

However, the turbo is as good as the day I put it on still.

I just got my 20g super today hope I have the same luck I will be putting it in Saturdayand be putting Iit to the test will be driving it from so cal to iowa hope it holds up till I get there

Just thought I would follow up to all this for those still wondering. 5 years later and the turbo is performing well and without problems of ay kind. I also completed making the cylinder head changes and intake manifold etc... I am currently retuning the car and will see what it's capable of. Sorry still no track number or current dyno numbers to speak of yet. Year after year I hope to get those numbers but, I seem to fail to get it done or find the time in my schedule.

Hoping maybe MOD will have an AWD dyno again this fall and I can get it on the rollers. As well see about getting it to the track or putting my GT2 timer to it's paces which has always been reliable to 2~3 tenth of a second and dead on mph when I use to bracket race at my local track.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back