The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G FWD NA Flywheel Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazzard74

Probationary Member
Apr 9, 2017
Forest Grove, Oregon
Hi everyone.
This started with a 93 Eclipse FWD, non-turbo, manual trans. I'm swapping my blown 7-bolt for a JDM 6-bolt. It has gone pretty smooth until I went to mount the trans. The flywheel that came with the 6-bolt is too big to fit in the bellhousing.
So, what flywheel do I have, and what flywheel do I need to get? Will I be able to use the old starter (which is actually only 2 months old)? And do I need to swap the tin plate that goes between the trans and the block?

On a side note: I got an Exedy Stage 0 clutch kit from JNZ that is supposed to fit all DSMs 90-99. The face of the 7-bolt flywheel is completely flush, and there is no way it would work with this clutch kit. Has this flywheel been modified?
I'm so confused, but I love these cars and I want to learn everything.

Thanks in advance.
If I can provide any further info/pics to help please let me know.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Non turbo flywheel is smaller and flat. Turbo flywheels are stepped and are larger. Non turbo trans will require a non turbo flywheel and clutch.

Now I'm really confused :confused:

My old flywheel (7-bolt) has a 106 tooth ring gear, but this is a FWD, N/T car.
The 6-bolt flywheel has 110 teeth, but there's no way it will fit in the bell housing.

Is there any chance I could have and AWD tranny? Should I be looking for an AWD flywheel?

Last edited:
starter locator plate, starter, flywheel, all need to match whatever tranny you have. post pics or the number off the tranny for help in identifying it. (if it has a place to mount the transfer case it is an AWD tranny) and yes, the 1g NON-turbo 4g63 TRANSMISSION does use a different clutch than any of the turbo models.

if it is actually just a non turbo 1g tranny, you need starter locator plate, starter, flywheel, and clutch, all for a 1 g non-turbo car.

Here's the number on the trans:

That was exactly the information I needed.
Thank you for your help.

A turbo awd flywheel is same diameter and ring gear teeth as a non turbo. I know for a fact you can use a non turbo clutch and flywheel in an AWD trans. I do not know if you can use an AWD flywheel in a non turbo fwd trans.

If you get in a pinch and can't fine a fwd non turbo flywheel, you might be able to mod a turbo awd flywheel to use the n/t clutch and work for you. You'd have to have it machined flat, and then drill it for the new pp.

A turbo awd flywheel is same diameter and ring gear teeth as a non turbo. I know for a fact you can use a non turbo clutch and flywheel in an AWD trans. I do not know if you can use an AWD flywheel in a non turbo fwd trans.

If you get in a pinch and can't fine a fwd non turbo flywheel, you might be able to mod a turbo awd flywheel to use the n/t clutch and work for you. You'd have to have it machined flat, and then drill it for the new pp.
This.

My current car had a non turbo engine/flywheel/clutch in it when I bought it with full awd drivetrain. It was also a fully built na 4g63 with long tube headers and cams. Was definitely slower than a stock turbo car still.

The n/t and awd turbo flywheels have the same ring gear. The fwd turbo is different.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back