The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

General Fully mod Eclipse won’t start. Need help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e_miller81

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 1, 2006
Elkhart, Indiana
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I have building a 97 Eclipse GSX for the past 10 years. I have a fully built 7 bolt 4G63. I’m running a map sensor, Aem ems-4 stand-alone, Aem 4 channel twin fire ignition with Chrysler 300m cop setup. I have an aeromotive A1000 fuel pump with fuel pressure regulator with FIC 1650 injectors.

I will be happy to provide more of specs of the car if needed.

I went to have the vehicle tuned and ended up having issues with the wiring of the fuel pump. I was losing voltage so I ended up not being able to get it tuned. Since then I figured away to fix the fuel pump voltage issue. I went to drive the car before I did that wiring work on the fuel pump and when I went to accelerate The car backfired or something and almost felt the car hop. It happend so quick. The car continued to run but had no throttle response.

First thing I checked was throttle cable and body. No issue everything is moving free. The car will not start at all now. I checked to see if Start sync light comes on in Aem tuner. That makes me believe the cam and crank sensors are working correctly. Since then I’ve checked compression, spark and injectors are working to my knowledge. I didn’t touch the tune from when it drove to now. I checked the MAP sensor and I show 0.8psi with the car not running. I don’t think that is to far off for the car not to start. The car doesn’t even chug at all.

I’m really lost and could use some ideas or advice.

Attachments

• 72B3E708-871F-4667-A7D6-110D70B4F022.jpeg
    72B3E708-871F-4667-A7D6-110D70B4F022.jpeg
    639.2 KB · Views: 71
It was a fried AEM CDI box. That piece of equipment is no longer supported by AEM. An electrical engineer was hired to try and salvage the AEM CDI.

For the money you are putting in to that AEM box, why not switch over to something that is still supported and known to work(ECMLink)?

The Aem Cdi box is just the ignition amplifier, and that’s the component that is broke. A comparable 4 channel CDI box would be MSD dis-4 which retails for $650-ish. We’ll see where the quote to fix the AEM box comes back at.

The ems on this car is Aem ems-4.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back