The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Findin E85's knock thresh-hold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
Well, while doing some tuning today i found out where E85 likes to knock ( at least in my car)

I brought the AFR's to 11.5 with alky injection on (M5 nozzle) So i turned alky off and wanted to make sure i would have some margin for safety if i ran out of juice. Well at 12.6:1 i got 2-3* timing pulled from only 1 cylinder, but the results were repeatable. Without an oscilliscope or hooking it's output to my ECU's spare loggin input i can't tell what jug it waws, but #3 tends to be the most knock happy (now clue why)

This mainly happened at and around the peak torque areas (4500 or so) and I would get all timing back by the time it hit 6k or so.

Not that any of this is important, but i know there's other tuners out there that may be interested in my findings ( at least since they were repeatable when tested) And so i thought i'd post it up for whoever may want to know.

As usuall i'l be playing with the tune for a while and posting results as i find them. I should add that it's in the 90's here right now with very high humidity (70%)

Intake temps were starting at around 111* during cruise and rising to a peak of 148* measured at the TB elbow. These temps are including using pre-turbo methanol/water mix through an M5 nozzle (pretty hot if you ask me *yikes*

Advice, input, thoughts, or questions...post em up or just read and go about your day..as i said, this is just for those interested in what i found, not really looking to "solve" anything

What kind of timing were your running? Whats your C/R. Are you running an intercooler?

I'm putting together a low budget E85 combo to see what happens. I got a n/t shortblock with a head cut like .050" so its about 9.5:1 - 10:1. I'm gonna run the factory ecu and 450's. But with a modded n/t fpr to get the bfp up to about 52psi.. That will make the injectors compensate for the extra fuel needed. I'm not looking to make big big power, but I think 300hp ought to be possible. Any thoughts glenn or bastard dsm?

timing was 23deg and idc was high 80's, the 3 bar map was holding us back.
300hp on e85 with 450's might be possible but you will need all the boltons
and do your homework.

Hows your Vr4 comming along? i dont see you posting on DallasDsm anymore.

well we shall see soon as its back together...I'm amidst an AWD conversion... I think it might be possible. It should certainly make more power than a regulat low comression motor on 93. Its got a china evo 3 gt, and a 255.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back