The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Engine issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RavenCeleste

Probationary Member
Apr 4, 2018
Hazel Green, Alabama
First off this is my first post, and my first problem that I have come across that I can't seem to figure out/fix.

A little background, I have a 1995 Talon Esi 5 speed, completely stock other than replaced OEM parts. While driving sometime my engine would "jerk", best way to describe it, and the lights would dim but then would go right back and be just fine. Today it happened while I was driving and I lost all power, 0 rpms motor was still running til I cut it off and now it won't start back up. It has a new Ignition coil, new plugs, new wires, new fuel pump, new thermostat. I am just really confused, it isn't a head gasket or anything but I have wracked my brain all day and am probably too tired to realize a simple solution.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

That sounds like an electric issue with those symptoms I would suggest starting with checking your battery, connections,alternator, belt etc...the fact motor stayed running after losing electrical makes me think battery as the alt is what normal supplies needed voltage to keep engine alive but won't start if battery is dead drained etc

I didn't lose electrical power just lost all of my engine power and now it won't start even tried popping the clutch to try to start it and nothing at all, just makes one knock and that's it.

That very well could be it however usually even with a sensor going wonky u should still be able to crank the motor if it was to just crank and crank with no start then I'd assume a sensor but since u said lights dimmed that instantly points to a voltage problem plus the motor would still crank over and over till u drain battery theres almost nothing other then battery, connection to alternator,and starter that stops u from being able to atleast crank the motor freely unless u threw a rod and locked the motor up just mu 2 cents but it wouldnt hurt to take a voltmeter and do a quick check a bad cable wire or ground could cause it as well but no crank situations almost always begin with a problem between battery to starter

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back