The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Dynatec ARC-2 IGNITION for 91-94 cars,, INSTALL and RESULTS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy4g63

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 3, 2006
NY, New_York
The reason, I am writing this is very simple. I was on the market for a new ignition, but couldn't find anything , that suits my needs: Either too expensive, or poor quality. And I was looking at DYNATEC ARC-2, but is listed for like 95-99-2G cars. After coresponding with a member here fp-green-95tsi and talking to my friend, they both said, that is a completely bolt-on for 91-94 cars. But I never knew that. So I decided to buy one and I called EXTREME PSI.LOLLOLLOL. Allways very happy, when I am getting something for my car !!!

The reason, I choose them is simple:
Excellent customer service, awesome prices and fast shipping...
I've been dealing with EXTREME PSI for a long time and have nothing, but good things to say about them. Neil hooked me up with an excellent price/incl. shipping/. Plus, I am allways getting it the next day.:thumb:
I got the ignition like 2 weeks ago, but just yesterday got some time around to install it...

install:

Let me say, I am handy, but I hate wires of any kind, even though, I finished electrical school. Below, you'll see a few pictures, but nothing much on the install itself. That is because is COMPLETELY BOLT-ON affair...
You don't need anything, when you open it and bring it to the car, you'll figure everything out. You only have to run the power and ground wires along the firewall and connect them to the battery. It is however recommended, that you get GROUND from the battery, not some other place. Harness is long enough, but I choose that specific location, because it is like made to fit there. The small black box/tach adapter/ in front of ARC is getting velcroed to it/ velcro also is provided. Also there is fuse holder with a 30AMP fuse, attached to the POWER wire. You could see it in some of the pictures.

There are 3 optional wires coming ouy of the box.
-purple white, it is for the 2 STEP/ you just wire it to the clutch switch, which is also ground.
-purle wire, for timing retard
-green for the tach adapter.

I didn't connect any of these, cause my AEM would take care, but if you want, is very simple. I also called the company/ DYNATEC like two times with some questions and I received excellent response.

results:

Let me say first, that my car sat for 3 months, last time I started it , it was more than a month ago. Turned the key ON, let the fuel pump prime and it started right on. Let it warm up really good and went for a drive.
The THROTTLE was incredibly responsive, like on NA car. It drives very smooth. My spark plugs and wires are brand new, probably with less, than 100 miles on them Pluges are gapped at 0.26. I changed them, because I had a small missfiring issue @ low, Part throttle RPM's. The car runs absolutely amazing now and there is not a sign of any troubles. I rev it to 8300 RPM and it is better, than ever. Seems like it is a less louder too.
I choose the RESTRIKE option on th ARC-2, instead of SINGLE SPARK, cause I believe for my case it would perform better/23-25 PSI on pump. This way it will have a better combustion process and possibly less knock on PUMP with bigger turbo and less timing. But you could choose either one of these options and which one is going to work better for your setup. Excellent product overall and it seems very reliable, unlike MSD DIS2-4's...

P.S. Sorry to post this here, but this way more people/new members would see it and have a chance to respond. As I mentioned earlier, I didin't know about it my self.

There are a few photos, enjoy and THANKS FOR YOUR TIME !!!:hellyeah:

Attachments

• Dynatec ARC-2 ign. box 005.jpg
    Dynatec ARC-2 ign. box 005.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 2,660
  • Dynatec ARC-2 ign. box 007.jpg
    Dynatec ARC-2 ign. box 007.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 2,225
  • Dynatec ARC-2 ign. box 011.jpg
    Dynatec ARC-2 ign. box 011.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,246
  • Dynatec ARC-2 ign. box 006.jpg
    Dynatec ARC-2 ign. box 006.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 2,316
  • Dynatec ARC-2 ign. box 004.jpg
    Dynatec ARC-2 ign. box 004.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2,313
  • Dynatec ARC-2 ign. box 010.jpg
    Dynatec ARC-2 ign. box 010.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,260
Sorry, forgot to mention that, Install took 20-25 min. literally and that includes running and cutting the wires and mounting the bracket. It is so simple.

very important !!!!
=========================================================

I forgot to mention in my original post, but thanks to fp-green-95TSI and STEVE, who are both members here, there is a minor correction that I made:

On all 1G cars, there is condenser/capacitor, which is part of the coil pack on 1G cars. It looks like a very small/1/2"x1/2"x1/4"thick/ black square/box. It is however mounted on the coil pack and it is connected to one of the coils/1-4/ for power and to the mounting bracket for ground. Pretty sure you will not going to need it, so if you are running this ignition-ARC-2, you have to remove it.

All of the above said, does not apply to a 2G owners and as well to the 1G guys, who run COP/ I think/.

Thanks again.

ANDY.

Great write up, it makes me want to get it too! Also, you have one of the cleanest engine bays I have seen in a long time. Keep it up! :thumb::thumb:
If you ever want to sell your Holset let me know.:D

P.S. Any more pics of the car?

Sorry, forgot to mention that, Install took 20-25 min. literally and that includes running and cutting the wires and mounting the bracket. It is so simple.

Thats Awesome, you gotta love quick and easy installs:D.

95GreenGSX said:
Great write up, it makes me want to get it too! Also, you have one of the cleanest engine bays I have seen in a long time. Keep it up!
If you ever want to sell your Holset let me know.

P.S. Any more pics of the car?

+1 I have to agree. That is one Sick engine bay.

I've got an ARC-2 sitting in my pile of parts as well. I have not heard very much about the install and results from this product, so thank you very much! I've worked with Dynatek quite a bit regarding their bike ignition controllers, they have always turned out to be very informative. (That and we got to chat quite a bit at SEMA this year, as we shared a booth with them :) )

I'm curious how the 2-step launch rev-limiter works on this thing. Do you plan on using the ARC-2 for launch control, or your AEM setup?

Also, can you tell a difference when the spark re-strike switches off at 4500rpm?

That purple retard wire would be nice for interfacing a NO2 system :D

Nice writeup, can't wait to get mine installed :applause:

I'm curious how the 2-step launch rev-limiter works on this thing. Do you plan on using the ARC-2 for launch control, or your AEM setup?

Also, can you tell a difference when the spark re-strike switches off at 4500rpm?

That purple retard wire would be nice for interfacing a NO2 system . :applause:

I mentioned it above, I am still going to use the AEM for the 2step launch, cause I don't like things complicated, not to mention the Dynatec would cut ignition spark only, but not FUEL/ which I think is better off with the spark/.
Switch actually isn't OFF, but if not at RESTRIKE, is set to SINGLE SPARK. No I didn't try it that way, but I am happy the way it is. Multiple Strike/RESTRIKE, makes more sense to me.

As I said everyone has to try both positions and see which one is better for their setups.

As far as NO2 haven't tried it ever. Would be nice if it is a full time race car.:)

P.S. 1990's cars have a different plug, I believe, but nothing major/ think it has dual power wire for both coils and can be fixed easily if you have the right plugs and soldering iron.

I have the Dynatek on my 2g and got the same results, better idle and throttle respounse. I have mine set on restrike but nothing else is hooked up. I just want to add that if have a COP setup this is for you since you can wire it up to four seperate coils.

You just convinced me to buy one for my car! I was thinking about it, but this solidifies it. Very similar setup to me btw. Good looking bay. :hellyeah:

James :dsm::talon::laser:

I think I just founf my next buy. Great install andy. I downgraded to a COP setup due to have ing to relocate some things and not having room(or making room) for the stock coil. If this helps the COP I am in. Gixerman could you post some pics of your install aswell? I never heard of this product before today and it would be nice to see.

Sam

I have the Dynatek on my 2g and got the same results, better idle and throttle respounse. I have mine set on restrike but nothing else is hooked up. I just want to add that if have a COP setup this is for you since you can wire it up to four seperate coils.

Yes, I forgot to mention that, you are right gixrman...

I think I just founf my next buy. Great install andy. I downgraded to a COP setup due to have ing to relocate some things and not having room(or making room) for the stock coil. If this helps the COP I am in. Gixerman could you post some pics of your install aswell? I never heard of this product before today and it would be nice to see.

Sam

It would definately help you with your COP. This way the COP, becomes upgrade. The only thing, gixrman has 2G and the difference is, that allows you to mount the box on the strut tower, instead someplace else. Actually, I like mine better, cause is away from the motor and in cooler place, I think. Plus the harness is hidden underneath and fits exactly-lenghtwise...

Sam

This is were it sits in a 2g using the bracket that comes with it from Extreme Psi. Please excuse my dirt engine bay.

Attachments

• Dynatek1.jpg
    Dynatek1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,585
  • Dynatek2.jpg
    Dynatek2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,506
This is were it sits in a 2g using the bracket that comes with it from Extreme Psi. Please excuse my dirt engine bay.

More like excuse the wiring mess.

True, plus I heard they are very reliable.[/QUOTE]

More reliable than the MSD so it helped me same money and get a better product. Thank you SBR

Looks good Andy. As always your reviews are a pleasure to read and pics are top notch. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back