The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

DSM Track Records/Lap Times

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
I'm trying to figure out an efficient way to create a database similar to our Timeslip and Dyno Sheets lists that features the DSM fastest lap times at various road courses. I figured I'd start a thread and gather data this way first. I'm thinking all we need to do is list the following criteria:

Track name, lap time, street or race tires, date.

Let's start building a DSM lap time database guys!

Not sure how many DSM's run at the Shawano lapping days here in Wisconsin. Its about the only tack i can take my spyder too unless i put a roll cage in it.

I'll be at VIR this weekend with VRL--they run with transponders. I should be able to provide some DSM data for VIR full-course on Monday sometime.

Very cool idea. Will you include an "other" category for say....3/S's? :thumb:

Great idea! Will there be any way to "document" this info or will it be sort of honor based? Maybe a gps laptime readout? I know my stopwatch doesn't have a printer. LOL

Road America, April 8-9 /06, 225 45-17 NeoGens, 3:05's :barf: Uncertified.

Autobahn South Course, Joliet, Ill
1:44.769 July 22, 2006
NASA event, TTB Class
1990 GSX

Rich

Ok this is not the way to do this. Here is how I believe it should be done:

- Compile Tracks on a new webpage/link here at DSMtuners. We can add tracks as we get them submitted.

- You need to have a VERIFIED lap via transponder. AMB, Hotlap, etc. etc.. or if you are in an actual race series, a copy or link to the race results with your times. No stopwatch times allowed.

- PM the following information to the Track Talk mod:

a) transponder lap time and data file. If you can get a pic of your times, post it in your DSM Journal.

b) tires used (e.g. I ran on Bridgestone Potenza S-03s)

c) modification list, if different than your vehicle profile(engine specs, suspension used, etc etc).

d) The total weight of your car. Or maybe weight of the car with driver.

This way we eliminate most of the second guessing. We add the info to our database. Chris we could modify or just add a category to the "links" once we implement it, and then just make a direct link to it similar to how we have the 1/4 mile times linked. Or maybe we can find a way to hack the 1/4 mile database parameters for our own use, or possibly vbulletin already has something similar that we could twist to make this work.

Thoughts?

Rx3 said:
Ok this is not the way to do this. Here is how I believe it should be done:

- Compile Tracks on a new webpage/link here at DSMtuners. We can add tracks as we get them submitted.

- You need to have a VERIFIED lap via transponder. AMB, Hotlap, etc. etc.. or if you are in an actual race series, a copy or link to the race results with your times. No stopwatch times allowed.

- PM the following information to the Track Talk mod:

a) transponder lap time and data file. If you can get a pic of your times, post it in your DSM Journal.

b) tires used (e.g. I ran on Bridgestone Potenza S-03s)

c) modification list, if different than your vehicle profile(engine specs, suspension used, etc etc).

d) The total weight of your car. Or maybe weight of the car with driver.

This way we eliminate most of the second guessing. We add the info to our database. Chris we could modify or just add a category to the "links" once we implement it, and then just make a direct link to it similar to how we have the 1/4 mile times linked. Or maybe we can find a way to hack the 1/4 mile database parameters for our own use, or possibly vbulletin already has something similar that we could twist to make this work.

Thoughts?
Rick, I do plan to have a much more in depth system, but I wanted to see what people came back with before we put work into it. This way we can see how it will work before we start developing something. Know what I mean?

Ludachris said:
Rick, I do plan to have a much more in depth system, but I wanted to see what people came back with before we put work into it. This way we can see how it will work before we start developing something. Know what I mean?

This isn't a "my car is faster than yours" contest because:

a. There are so few of us out there
b. We have different mods and run in different classes
c. People who run HPDE usually don't have transponders. In fact, the organizers discourage their use because HPDEs are not supposed to be timed events.
d. Requiring documented proof of lap times limits entries to only those who run NASA events in TT class, where you can point to a web site that lists the lap times.

I look at this as a comparison chart, a way of getting an idea of what is a good lap time in a DSM at assorted tracks around the country. I druther see a lot of claimed, unsubstantiated lap times than a tiny amount of documented lap times. For example, if I wanted to run down to Heartland Park in Topeka for an HPDE, I'd like to know if anybody in a DSM had been there, what they had for mods, and what lap times they ran.

The real proof of who has the biggest dic...uh, fastest car...will come in the NASA nationals, when we see which car wins TTB, TTU and all the other classes in which we compete.

What would REALLY be neat would be to also post the fastest time recorded by any car in the class, so we can see how we are doing against the Klingons. For example, although I turned 1:44 at Autobahn, the fastest car in TTB that day turned a 1:42. (I gotta turn up my boost!). The HPDE guys would have to figure out where their car would fit into TT, but that isn't so hard to do. Anybody running HPDEs is probably thinking ahead to TT, so this is something they should know already.

We need to work together to beat the Klingons. By running together, pitting together, and comparing notes -- such as lap times -- we'll make DSMs into contenders. THEN we can start worrying about who has documentation to back up their claims.

Rich

Thunderhill Raceway, CA. 2:08 with bypass, 2:10 with Eagle's Nest. I haven't taken my timer out in a long time. I will post updated results next time I go. Fast cars are low 2:00's

Road America.
MFBA/Speedseekers.
Nitto NeoGens.
Oct. 14, 15.
92 TSI awd
2:56.
THAT's more like it. :thumb:

Road America
October 21
NASA event
2:42.xxx
Class TTB (class winning time by 0.1 sec)
90 GSX, Toyo Prox RA1s, 235/40-17s
Conditions: very cold track, wet in some areas

I really like this idea, I hope that you can get something up and running soon. I will post time from Road A and places from the SE

And I'll try to post some times from Fuji next time I run over there.

Alright guys, maybe I can add this to the profiles section. I just can't figure out how to do it so we can list multiple tracks and multiple times - and do it in a way where we can have the data sorted on a separate page. I'll put some more thought into it. I'd like to get some of these times displayed soon.

Road America oct 14-15 virtually stock safc and fuel line (13psi boost) 3:05 @111 mph all three straights
Road America oct 14-15 dealer stock srt4 3:00 @ 123 mph

I'd have to agree with poop...most of us dont run transponders in HPDE...and I don't think we'll have all the issues that 1/4 has, as the maturity level for this group seems to be a little higher...plus its not like we won't know whose bluffing...at any rate I'm an ex database designer so let me know if I can do anything to help....I actually have enough server room that I could actually prob build and host a linked site to store everything...off the cuff i'd say a few drop down menus to pick track and class to bring up a list of cars...
Id use 2 tables, one storing all the driver info, and the other storing track times by track...ie my driver profile including mods would be stored in table A. while my multiple trac times would be stored in table b. and contain the fields track name, driver id(or however you want to tie back to driver table), and time...actually to be honest if we had someone willing to donate the time you could combine the road course times with the 1/4 times in a big searchable database... The only thing is you'd need a way to keep times with the mods that acheived those times...so that when someone changes mods it correctly links old mods to the older times...

For reference to others, my time at the Beaverun roadcourse was 1:08 as timed by a stopwatch.

FWIW we are not talking 1/4 times here, each lap is slightly different and as always depends on conditions etc. so IMO transponders etc are overkill unless we are doing a "time attack" together on the same afternoon.

On other days I have run 1:12 - 1:15 just tooling around. But last check about 1:08 was a good time for me. But its been a couple years since I've timed myself, with new mods, and my 275's I'll prob'ly do better.

1997 Eagle AWD T28 turbo running about 21psi, Kumho 245's.

Scott

:talon: rules

1990 Eclipse GSX, running TTR class.
Won the class both days (only car in the class)

Best lap: 54.339 (http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=515835)
6th fastest overall in all TT groups.

We didn't figure out the tire pressures on the Hoosiers until the end of the day, and broke the next day, so we never really reached our best lap time. We think there was at least another second there, but that would only move us up one place on Saturday.

I was beaten by a Mazda RX7 race car, Honda S2000, Porsche GT3, a ZO6 and a BMW, but I beat a ton of Vettes, Mustangs, etc.

If I had been in a race class, at 54.339 I would have qualified
AIX: 3rd (American Iron)
ST1: 2nd
AI: 5th (American Iron)
SU: 1st
CMC: 1st
GTS5: 2nd
TR: 2nd
SM, GTS2, GTS1, etc: 1st

We learned that the car needs aero (splitter and a wing) to run ovals, perhaps more camber.

Has or will anything ever come of the lap time database here? Just curious is all guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back