The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

dsm repair / rebuilds in the area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclgst95

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 20, 2006
Tal, Florida
I have a 1995 GST that has been sitting parked for 4 years.
I cleaned the outside and interior and decided its time to revive this.

The motor has 107,xxx miles on it and was parked because of a bad timing belt job by pep boys :banghead:
After the timing belt job I got a compression check and saw that the 4th cyl was at 5, and the 3rd was alittle higher and 2nd and 1 were normal. Could the improper timing belt of caused a bad compression check?
Either way is there anyone in the area who has experience with this motor?

I havent cranked it yet, I believe ill need to put some purple mystery oil in each cylinder and let that seep a day or so before the initial crank. aswell as check the gas tank although i remember parking that on E or below E, which may have helped me.

Anything helpful would be great, ive already scoured the site and web and found tons of help. But i believe ill need some actual hands on help at some point. I have a garage , engine lift and every power tool I can think of.

Pep boys didn't time it right you say and you want to try and start it? Try a socket wrench on the crank and make sure there are no stops. Then put it at tdc and see if cam marks line up.

From the sounds of your compression test you have bent valves. If cam.marks don't line up retime it correctly and then try the oil trick. If pressures dont raise much at all with alil oil then your valves are bent and you will need to remove the had and replace them.

Last edited:
I am going to see if i can turn the crank by hand and check the tdc on the cams today after work.
I have a service manual for 95-96 models eclipse/talon/laser that is pretty indepth.
Have there been any guides done step by step for this process?
thanks for the info

I am going to see if i can turn the crank by hand and check the tdc on the cams today after work.
I have a service manual for 95-96 models eclipse/talon/laser that is pretty indepth.
Have there been any guides done step by step for this process?
thanks for the info

Yes look for a thread started by pauleyman about timing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back