The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Drivetrain FAQ suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
Hey guys, can you give me a list of topics that come up regularly here in this particular forum that should be in our FAQ? It would help if you typed out the title, and then found a thread that has the related discussion going on. I'll be able to get it added.

Thanks!

Advantages to Limited Slip Differentials.
Axle Replacement.
Clutch Options.
Fluid Options.
Adjusting Clutch Hydraulics.
Driveshaft Thump Repair.
Shifter Cable Mods.

Come on guys lets get a list going and tackle this shit!

Those are good. Once we get a few more suggestions, I'll ask you guys to go out and find some discussions I can link to so we can cut down on many of the same questions being asked. I appreciate it.

changing the xfer case and tranny? chaning suspsion (not sure if there is one yet)

I'm hoping you guys can post some links to these discussions you're suggesting, instead of just posting the topic. Just run a search and see what you can find. If they're popular discussions, they should be easy to find. Then post the links here in this thread and I'll start gathering them all together for a FAQ list.

Sweeeettt, didn't notice this at the top of the forums. I'll start gathering some as I root around and get'em posted.

:thumb:

Are "insert" (Phantom Grip, B&M) LSDs any good? Expensive? Weak? Hard to install?

What is "Double-clutching"?

Can you put XX gearbox/transfer case/rear end into XX car?

CAN YOU MAKE A RWD DSM?

Can I add AWD to my FWD?

Guys: This is my first time here. I am assembling my GSX after having to get a new short block because of crank walk. I have a couple of bolts left over! I think there should be a bolt on the rear of the motor to the transmission. See picture. Does anyone know if a bolt goes there or not? I can not find it in my factory manual. Could it be that it should be inserted from the inside before installing the transfer and cover?

If someone knows about this I would appreciate the help.

Lico Solo

Attachments

• what.jpg
    what.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 12,209
You will find a bolt that has a slightly smaller diameter shaft than threads on the bolt. pn# md706012 from your friendly dealer if you lose yours. I found mine three months later in my pants pocket. I wasted two hours looking for the thing before getting a new one.OMG

Never mind the PN# I was refering to the 1g PN#. But I would assume it is similar. Get a magnetic tray (or several small ones.) for 25 bucks. It will save a $100 in time wasted.

Gear ratios with various Trannys.

does anyone know what it means if only the rear wheels are spinning? I just broke recently and i was wondering what it could be before i go out and buy a new tranny. Could it be the center diff, broken axle, or maybe even the transfer case?

My 90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD is due for a second gear with syncro rings/hubs. We should have a how-to on replacing these parts for the do-it-yourselfer. I know there is a how-to tech post on tranny swaps, but none on syncro rings replacement.
Next week, I'll begin to put the how-to together, however, if anyone knows of a document that explains step by step for syncro replacement (tranny overhaul), please post it here. It will make my life easier.

90EagleTalonTSi said:
My 90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD is due for a second gear with syncro rings/hubs. We should have a how-to on replacing these parts for the do-it-yourselfer. I know there is a how-to tech post on tranny swaps, but none on syncro rings replacement.
Next week, I'll begin to put the how-to together, however, if anyone knows of a document that explains step by step for syncro replacement (tranny overhaul), please post it here. It will make my life easier.

1g: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Trannyrebuild.html
2g: http://www.twingles.com/ideck/rebuild3/dretranny.htm

Ludachris,

I'd like to see a FAQ regarding all different rearend identification tags i.e. B1G, B1H, J1H, J1g, and others if there are any. link1 link2

Also, specs to rebuild a rearend would be nice. I have some specs but they are from a 97 manual. If you want what I have please PM me. Any DSM manual should have these specs. (I don't happen to have one, so I rely on what I have been told to use for DSM's.)

The identification issue should be important to anyone looking to buy a rearend. No one wants to get something they can't use so they need to know what these numbers mean for an informed buy. Thanks for your help.
-Jesse

i was driving at about 35 mph, was downshifting at a light to turn right, and my car 90 talon, would not go into 2nd. i coasted around the corner, and now my car wont go into any gear. It seems to be stuck around fourth gear, but i cant roll it to take it anywhere. could i disconnect something in the tranny? drivetrain, so at least it rolss?
need help!!!
thanx

This would be a great question to answer :

Would and could it be possible to interchange the front lsd of a 2g talon with the front lsd from an evo 1/2/3, if so whats involved and if not why?

I think a list of the best/most popular tranny fluids (xfer case, rear, tranny, etc) would be a really nice addition to the FAQ.

check your shifter linkage and see if both selectors are moving

Revolution said:
This would be a great question to answer :

Would and could it be possible to interchange the front lsd of a 2g talon with the front lsd from an evo 1/2/3, if so whats involved and if not why?

The Evo 3 ~ 2g DSM as far as engine, trans, xfercase goes, the rear diff casing is different but the gears are the same part#.

So are you implying that the evo 3 has an open diff in the front like the 2g talons/eclipses?

I think a general drivetrain upgrade path would be cool.

It would make sense to start with the transmission and going to the driveshaft, center diff (?) and rear diff (?) as well. I know I am trying to get a general overview right now as I see all there "4 Bolt" rear end conversions.

Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back